In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Trading Handguns

rusty1rusty1 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
i live in tennessee,and found an ad on a forum from a man that want to trade guns that live in georgia.is it legal to trade with him,and are there any restrictions.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to go through a FFL dealer, if he lives in another State.

Going through FFL, "dealer(s)", can be a expensive hassle. Make sure you get complete agreement for them transferring the guns, and total out the door costs from both dealers before going this route.
  • SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    Rusty, a while ago, I did a trade with a guy in Wisconsin, Im in Florida. It was my first out of state trade. I gave my gun to my local gun dealer and she shipped my gun to his dealer, and the other guy gave his gun to his local gun dealer and he shipped the gun to my dealer. I did have to go through the background check and all that, but I didnt have to go through the waiting period.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    go through a ffl dealer. only cost me 20.00 when i do it and has always worked out. Just make sure when dealing with other states you go through a dealer. ( ya i know it sucks but in this day and world it cover your own *)
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rusty1
    i live in tennessee,and found an ad on a forum from a man that want to trade guns that live in georgia.is it legal to trade with him,and are there any restrictions.

You can't legally transfer guns across state lines without going through an Federal firearms licensee.

Rufe offers excellent advice. To expand:

Some FFLs charge a pretty hefty fee to transfer guns (eg $50+ per transfer), and shipping might not be cheap either (eg $25+). Make sure to know what the TOTAL costs are going to be in your case before agreeing to do this (ie how much to send AND to receive), and don't be bashful to shop around to different FFLs to compare prices, if you aren't satisfied with them.

One *possible* loophole here (and it isn't really a loophole) is that direct transfer of a gun to a C&R FFL license holder *might* be OK if the gun in question qualifies as a curio or relic.

That could reduce both transfer and shipping costs.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can ship directly to his dealer; you don't have to ask your dealer to ship to him.

He can ship directly to your dealer; he doesn't need to ask his dealer to ship his gun to you.

Each of you must discuss this with your respective dealers before you do anything else.

What kind of gun you have, & what kind of gun he has, may affect whether or not this trade can be done. Also, state/local laws may be restrictive.

Neal