In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 700 model identification?

walther86walther86 Member Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just acquired a remington mdl 700 25.06. How do you identify what specific model of the 700 series this rifle is? It has the trapdoor, so it could be a BDL, CDL, classic(it would be a non original stock of course) etc...How do you narrow it down? Is their an indicator in the ser.# or are there other markings that would indicate this on the barrel? Thanks!

Comments

• WarGamesWarGames Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stock and sights differ.
    That is it as far as I know.
    Others will chime in.

WG
  • stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did I understand you to say that it does not have the original stock?

It was my impression, but I may be corrected by someone, that the barreled actions of the ADL and BDL were largely the same, but that the BDL had a jeweled bolt body, and perhaps better bluing. The BDL also had the box magazine that opened on the bottom, while the ADL was a "blind" magazine and did not open.

The stock of the BDL had the black ebony forend, the black ebony on the pistol grip, and a cheekpiece on the buttstock. The ADL may have had a cheekpiece as well. There were probably some differences on the buttplate as well. I recall that both the ADL and BDL had open sights, but they were sometimes removed by the owners. The CDL, which is the more recent model introduced, does not have sights.

Some "Varminters" were also made in cartridges which included 25-06, and these had heavy barrels with no sights on the barrel. One of my friends had one of these around 1975, and I recall that it was a BDL, but I am not completely certain of this.

I am sure that others more knowledgeable than me will chime in on your inquiry. Pictures would help, if you are able to provide them.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A pic would sure help.
  • walther86walther86 Member Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got it figured out. I thought it could be a classic just because of the serial number, but it turns out that it is a BDL. I checked the number with Remington and just based off of the dating you could tell it wasnt the classic. the 25.06 classic was produced in 1990, and the serial number on this one gave me 1993. My rifle has open sights too. I don{t think that the classic model had open sights? I also has the stock with the black tip on the forend of the stock with a cheekpiece. My classic I had before had a really beautiful stock that was lighter than a typical BDL stock. Thanks for the info though, sorry I couldn{t get a pic on here...
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by walther86
    I got it figured out. I thought it could be a classic just because of the serial number, but it turns out that it is a BDL. I checked the number with Remington and just based off of the dating you could tell it wasnt the classic. the 25.06 classic was produced in 1990, and the serial number on this one gave me 1993. My rifle has open sights too. I don{t think that the classic model had open sights? I also has the stock with the black tip on the forend of the stock with a cheekpiece. My classic I had before had a really beautiful stock that was lighter than a typical BDL stock. Thanks for the info though, sorry I couldn{t get a pic on here...
    classic only came in the 308 caliber...