In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Selling a "Mexican" Colt

pecosparkpecospark Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I had one listed on Gunbroker but ended it early .I got it from an employee when I worked in Mexico. Thes were supposedly made in Spain for sale in Mexico in the 1890's. Looks and function just like a SAA. The problem is: no serial #'s,no proof marks,fake colt patent (Aug. 25)rampant colt,and converted from 44-40 to 44 RF. I decided I couldn't risk shipping directly to a buyer,nor to an FFL since there are no serial #'s.(they were never buffed off,they just don't exist).Do I have any option other than to sell it FTF in my own state? (NM) I have the same problem with a round butt Kolb Baby Hammerless.Any help appreciated.

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Serial numbers on long guns weren't required until 1968. I believe that serial numbers for pistols weren't required until the 1930s... not sure of an exact year.

However, as you said, if there ever was a serial number on it and it has been removed then it is big trouble.

Also, there is the question of when it was imported to the US and how, etc.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the Kolb, but the Spanish made copies of U.S. handguns aren't big ticket items. Being rechambered for .44 Henry, it must be something dating to the 19th Century as you suggest. Not worth the hassle and expense of any potential legal problems IMHO though. Even selling it to a local might cause problems, you might reconsider this. Most of the local law enforcement folks I've had dealings with don't know beans about collectors guns. A gun is a gun to them. If somebody were to drop a dime and tell them that you were trying to sell a gun without a serial number, it wouldn't work out well for you.
  • pecosparkpecospark Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I mentioned,it never had serial #'s or proof marks,not at all unusual for these guns.As far as when it was imported into the states,I carried it across the border from Mexico.The border patrol agent agreed it was an"antique" and not a firearm ,and I had no problem. I would not have wanted to be caught with it in Mexico,however. PS,although it does not apply in this case,you can legally bring a firearm into the US from Mexico as long as it was made in the US. AGAIN, don't get caught in Mexico with a firearm or even one cartridge unless you like very nasty prisons.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see nothing to worry about here.

There is no problem owning or transferring a firearm that never had a serial number. If it was made > 1897, any dealer logging it in simply notes "No SN" in his bound book. If it was made < 1898, it is an antique & can be transferred to anyone (although I would insist on a DL copy to CMA.)

Any firearm imported to the US prior to 1968 doesn't need an importer marking. It is not illegal to possess or transfer a post-1968 firearm that was not legally imported, unless it is of a type that is not legal to import.

Take good photos of the guns, describe all markings (or lack thereof), comply with all federal, state, & local laws, & you will be fine.

Neal

EDIT: A word of caution. You CANNOT bring a modern firearm into the US (including those originally made in the US) unless you have a customs declaration completed when you took it out of the country.
  • pecosparkpecospark Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for your input.Particularly to NMYERS.These "Mexican" Colts are fairly popular here in the SW since they represent an authentic Western artifact.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kolb S/Ns are under the grips