In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 12 Shotgun

brandysummersbrandysummers Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just bought my husband a shotgun from a pawn shop. It's barrel length is 18 inches, has a grooved pump slide, the serial # is 1782850, the number matches for the barrel and the receiver. The barrel extends just an inch and a half past the shell tube. It has a smooth, polished stock, ver little wear. Is it worth anything?

Comments

• brandysummersbrandysummers Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a model 12 made in 1924. The barrel has a slight bulge in it, and I want to replace it. Will the barrel from later years production fit this gun.
    Thanks
    Phil
    edited November -1
    This was supposed to be in the original post but I need to add that it is a winchester model 12, 12 gauge chambered for 2 3/4" shells. No ribbing on the barrel with just a small bead at the end of the barrel.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Brandy,

Are you sure that the barrel is just 18-inches and not actually 20-inches in length? The reason I ask, is that Winchester made 20-inch barreled Riot Guns, but never made them with an 18-inch barrel.

The easy way to measure the barrel length is to close the action (empty chamber of course), and then use a gun cleaning rod or 1/4-inch wood dowel, insert it down the bore until it bottoms out on the breech bolt... mark it at the intersection with the muzzle, remove and measure.

If it truly is just 18-inches, it has a cut down barrel, and is not considered a "collector" grade Winchester. If the barrel is 20-inches, check the left rear side of the barrel for the choke marking. If it is stamped "CYL" that would indicate that it is a factory Riot Gun.
    edited November -1
    I measured the barrel on the outside only from the end to the receiver - sorry. I'm guessing it's the 20" variety.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brandysummers
    I measured the barrel on the outside only from the end to the receiver - sorry. I'm guessing it's the 20" variety.

Please verify the length and the choke marking on the barrel.
    edited November -1
    I measured the barrel as you mentioned, it measured 19". If you measure from where the barrel mates the receiver (where it breaks down) it's 17 and 7/8". The barrel extends 1 5/8" past the magazine tube. The choke is stamped Mod for modified I assume.
    edited November -1
    OK, that confirms that it was once a full length barrel (most likely 28-inches). As a cut-down, it is worth about $250.
    edited November -1
    I've got a feeling it's a cut down barrel now that I've read your last post.
    edited November -1
    That sucks! Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
    edited November -1

You are quite welcome... sorry the news wasn't a bit better.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Another satisfied customer![:D]