In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W ?

rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
saw a smith at the show today and it is a 38 with 3"? barrel and it looked to be silver (although I know its not) not nickle or stainless and it dates about 1930-40 by the serial # I think. odd thing is that it has 3&1/2 tons stamped on the barrel and CHP along with the usual stuff. and the cylinder has stampings at each chamber.
it has a serial # only that is visible when cyl. is open - no modle #. any ideas on what it is and what its worth? its about 80-85% may go 92 or 3% if cleaned and buffed. wood grips are smith grips but look too good to be the originals. may be wrong there.

thanks -

Comments

• rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    what is meant by a pinned barrel? Is one or sought after by collectors?

Thanks
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a pre Victory Model, Military & Police, that was sent to England as a military revolver in the 1939/40 time frame. They generally had 4" or 5" barrels and were blued and chambered for the .38/200 cartridge, ( same,same, as our .38 S & W).

It's been butchered and probably polished bright, or electroless nickel plated. In the condition you describe it's not worth a heck of a lot, i.e. cheap shooter only, IMHO.