In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M-70 Per-war magnetic scope mount

jokenjoken Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I saw a pre-war M-70 with a scope that was mounted with magnetic mounts. The rifle was bone stock and the scope and rifle were equally worn. The hunter with the rifle said that it was his Dad's and it had been a sniper rifle in WWII. I saw him remove the scope and put it back on and it was a magnetic mount. Story was the scope could be taken of for close combat and reinstalled if needed. I sure am curious about this rig and wonder if anyone knows anything about it. Thanks, Ken in Oregon

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    Never heard of magnetic mounts but I wish I had a dollar for every beat up old Model 70 that was supposed to have been a sniper rifle, even those in odd ball calibers.

"If this was supposed to have been a sniper rifle then why isn't it chambered for .30-06"?

"Ah, this was a special purchase by the Army of .270 rifles for test purposes...Yeah, I think that was it...Must be".

There is plenty of documented use of Model 70s as sniper rifles by the USMC from WWII all the way into Vietnam, and to a much lesser extent by the US Army. In the case of rifles used by the USMC they were all fitted with Unertl 8X power scopes and used commercial Unertl Target Micrometer mounts and Unertl rings.

A magnetic scope mounting system would certainly work, but the military wold have never adopted such a thing during the time period that the Model 70 was in active service
  • ihrulesihrules Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I wish I had a dollar for every........

It used to go "I wish I had a nickel....."

I guess times are changing, makes me feel old.