In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

TT-33 cycling question

TheCuratorTheCurator Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am having a cycling issue with my Romanian TT-33. The slide returns to half cock after each round is fired. The slide will also return to half cock if the slide is roughly slingshotted forward to chamber the first round in the magazine. Everything else works fine but the hammer must be manually pulled back from half cock to fire each round. I was thinking this may be a sear or spring related issue but I am no gunsmith. Anyone else have/had this problem? Any insight would be most helpful

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello It sounds to me like the full cock notch or sear is worn . This leaves you with a gun that is on the verge of going full auto. I think it is time to take to a gunsmith to check out Before you have an unintended discharge.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may also be a weak sear spring.
    The hammer & sear assembly can be lifted out of the frame after the slide is removed. There is a small peep hole in the housing that permits you to view the sear engagement.
    You can see if the sear spring has tension and check the sear and sear notch for engagement and condition. Also check that the disconnector is moving freely in the housing.
  • TheCuratorTheCurator Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the helpful info gents! I will try to pick up some replacement parts and swap out the hammer group/sear, spring. That should solve the problem. I am glad parts are still somewhat available.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might try www.buymilsurp.com for parts
    Bought a 7.62x25 barrel for my Chinese 9mm Tok, from him, a few years ago.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might have a better chance of finding small parts at Marstar in Canada, Milsurp.com is light on Tokarev parts.
    The fire control housings are somewhat fitted. Replacing the whole unit is unnecessary and will be hit or miss on finding a good fit in your receiver.
    If you don't want to pay a gunsmith and just replace suspect parts, order a hammer, sear and sear spring.