In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Barrel break-ins amd Moly's

elkcrazyfredelkcrazyfred Member Posts: 181 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I guess I should have been much much clearer in my previous questions that I was needing answered.I was asking if the Cooper break-in procedure was good not only for Coopers but any rifle. I don't mind the procedure if it helps accuracy.But as for the Coopers, how much better does it get? After all, they send you test target with just a single hole in it. I think that is good enough for me.But does accuracy go down if you don't clean after every shot? But even more of a concern is the moly coated ammo. Which ones are exactly moly coated ? For example,is Winchesters' Lubalox a dreaded moly coating? Which others are on this list as the ammo boxes are sometimes vague? Again, just "HOW MUCH" a difference does it make to follow the break-in procedure? I guess a call to Cooper would be the best answer.

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nononsense posted at the tail end of that thread. You need to go back and carefully read his posting.

It is my take that the break in procedure from Cooper will work for any barrel. I use a very similar procedure where i clean after every shot for the first ten, then after every five for the next 30. Like Nononsense said, the breakin procedures are to help burnish or polish out the imperfections such as button chatter, or micro burrs.

As for the tiny groups that come with the test targets from Cooper, if you research that more, I do believe you will find that they are shot at 50 yards...not 100. U buddy of mine has a Model 38 in 17 Fireball. On a calm day it will duplicate the test group, which is one hole, barely bigger than the diameter of a 17 cal. bullet, at 100 yards. It, under the right conditions is the most accurat factory rifle I have eveer seen.

Best
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Break in" is NOT a accuracy thing.
    "Break in" IS a ease of cleaning thing.
    "Break in" is a waste of time/powder/bullets on a quality barrel
    "Break in" is of possible use to ease the cleaning chores on a JUNK barrel.
    Any barrel that "NEEDS" break in is JUNK
    ANY quality maker will repair/replace a barrel that fouls excessivly

Some people beg for a "break in procedure, so the makers give them one, even though it isn't needed.

Clean out any crap left by the factory, lube the locking lugs and just shoot the damn thing.
  • elkcrazyfredelkcrazyfred Member Posts: 181 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks 65. Went back and read it. I don't see that it answers questions that I am asking. Everyone has very good points, but none of them are answering my specific questions. Thanks anyway.