In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What does the dash number mean on a S&W pistol

sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Can someone tell me what the number means after the - on S&W revolvers. I am looking at 686 revolvers and I see ads for 686-3, 686-5. What does that last number represent.

Thanks guys - Mark

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Engineering Change", this is common in all industries that manufacturer equipment. When a physical change is made to a product a new Engineering Order/Engineering Change is issued, the product is marked accordingly.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also remember, most usually, the lower the dash the more they bring. A no dash is the best,,,,generally believed to be of beter quality....nambu
  • cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. p226,

For the S&W 686;

686 (1980) begin *.
    686-1 (1986) radius stud package; floating hand
    686-M (1987) recall by S&W & overstamp to indicate mod. (applies to 686 & 686-1 only)
    686-2(1987) change hammer nose
    686-3 (1988) new yoke retention system
    686-4 (1993) change rear sight leaf, drill & tap frame, change extractor, introduce Hogue grips
    686-5 (1997) change frame design to eliminate cylinder stop stud, eliminate serrated tangs, change to MIM hammer & floating firing pin, change to MIM trigger, change internal lockwork
    686-6 (2001) internal hammer & trigger key lock
    686-7 (2002) performance center variation in 38 Super introduced

Hope this helps, Jim

Edit; The above info. is quoted from 'The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, 3rd edition' by Jim Supica & Richard Nahas.

Go to GB home page (the auction side) & use the search function, one book is listed now.

the SCSW, 3rd is the best source of all things Smith' & only exceeded by S&W's own records as accesed thru their history dept. & Roy Jinks.
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for this information and Thank you Jim for the great detail. I will use this as I look at varios auctions to find my next buy. This is great information. Thanks again - Mark
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    YES !! thanks from me too.., where did you find this valuable info ?
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sigarmsp226
    Thanks guys for this information and Thank you Jim for the great detail. I will use this as I look at varios auctions to find my next buy. This is great information. Thanks again - Mark
    It has been my experience that any dash number model before 686-5 is more desirable. Some purists only want the early no dash or dash 1 models. For me, I prefer the dash 2, 3, and 4 models. Everyone has there own likes and dislikes when it comes to S&W revolvers, and I am sure you will find yours too. I really like the 586 models but S&W in there infinite wisdom (read this to mean cheaping of the industry) stopped making them.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale

"Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" by Supica & Nahas. It's in the 3rd Edition now.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale

"Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" by Supica & Nahas. It's in the 3rd Edition now.

Yes, and they're not particularly hard to find.
    I was just leafing through a copy at the local Barnes and Nobles not 20 minutes ago.