In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Good Buy on Mark V 300 wby with Vari-X III ?

Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Not familiar with the Weatherby line but figured at $1000 shipped I could not go wrong on this set up. I got to looking and not sure if it is a great buy or just average. I am a die hard Sako guy with a real passion for the finnlight but figured this might be worth the drop in quality.

Check #142273559 or http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142273559

Thanks for any response.

Later, Travis.

Comments

• 22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure which Mark V model this is but most of the ones I see with that type stock are selling in the $600 to $750 range without the scope. IMO $1000 with the Leupold scope is ok; probably not a steal but ok. And if you've been wanting to try a 300 Weatherby this is a reasonable way to do it. Will you like it compared to your Sakos? My guess is you'll keep the scope and sell the rifle but maybe it will turn out to be fine. I have several Weatherbys and like the cartridges (especially 257 and 7mm) but I haven't found them to match my Sakos from an accuracy perspective. Good luck.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a left handed Weatherby Mk V in 300WM and have never had a complaint or problem other than the cost of factory ammunition, but if you reload that is not a problem.

For accuracy, mine is sub MOA at 100 yds for the first 3 shots with 180gr. After that, due to the barrel heating up, opens up to around 2" but this isn't a rifle you will be shooting 10 shot strings.
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    I still prefer the wood on a rifle, but Weatherbys are good. The 300 Weatherby cartridge is a good performer. I used to think they were the best, until I got my Sako,now they are second best.