In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Want WWII or earlier Colt 1911 Navy

hjheidrichhjheidrich Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a WW II or earlier 1911 Navy Colt. I am not an actual collector of firearms, although I have inherited some. I have always admired a Navy Colt (if that's an acceptable reference) and would like to add one to some Civil War, WW I and WW II weapons my Father bought in 1951. I don't know where to look or what to watch out for. There is apparently a huge amount of telltales I have no ideas about. My main collecting is in Randall knives, old and new, ivory or fossil handled, although that is not mandatory. Randalls I do know, and I have some very desirable pieces, many worth what I have determined to be a price range for a Colt. Can anyone help me? I hope I have not chosen an inappropriate venue for this.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Advertise on the auction side with quality photos of the knives your looking to trade. Times are rough now for lots of folks, cash might be a better incentive though.

The W W II Navy Colts are no different from the standard 1911A1's, other then they are in certain specific serial number ranges.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are correct; if you fail to educate yourself, you will certainly be fleeced.

For starters, you want to buy a copy of Charles Clawson's Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols, available for a reasonable price on the coolgunsite you were previously referred to. That is an indispensible reference source.

Another website with a lot of good information & photographs is:
    http://www.model1911a1.com/

Also, start browsing the forum dedicated to 1911/1911A1's:
    http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Finally, start browsing auctions with the search word "1911A1", & see what is out there.

Neal
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, the very early Navies have MODEL OF 1911 US NAVY on the slide instead of ARMY. These are the pre-WWI weapons.
    Very, very pricy.
    I had a first Navy contract 1911A1 made in 1937 and it had no difference other than serno range.
    I still have a very early Navy mag with the lanyard loop if you need one.