In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 700 Bolt/Action quality

Badge4251Badge4251 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Remington 700 bolts/actions...are they all the same or does the quality very based on the type of 700 you buy?

Comments

• Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had a couple of Remington 700's that I love. To be honest though, I have noticed a big drop in their quality control lately. Some of the issues were minor and a few were a little more serious.

Comparing the different 700 models is hard to do because there are so many varieties meant for different needs/wants. The cheapest of the 700 line right now I believe is the SPS. You get a cheaper plastic synthetic stock and very few "bells & whistles". That being said, they are a good gun for many people and I have owned a couple variations of them I was happy with.

What models are you looking at?

Jon
  • Badge4251Badge4251 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am asking because i am building a custom sniper rifle. All I need is the action and I am going to send it off to HART BARRELS to do the custom work. Just wanting to know if the action quality differs based on the type of 700?
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Badge4251
    I am asking because i am building a custom sniper rifle. All I need is the action and I am going to send it off to HART BARRELS to do the custom work. Just wanting to know if the action quality differs based on the type of 700?

Should be the same reliable 700 action no matter which model. Only difference are in the detail of the bolt and handle. Good luck to you are your project!

Jon
  • Badge4251Badge4251 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    do you know if all the 700 acitons are stainless?
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Badge4251
    do you know if all the 700 acitons are stainless?

No, not all 700 actions are stainless. Some are blued, I believe 4140 heat treated carbon steel, and then there are a few Titanium ones too, along with, I believe 316 stainless steel.

Best
  • skyhigh_sellerskyhigh_seller Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will be happy with Hart's work. Great company and fine folks.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Basic action is identical...may have a different trigger or finish but that is it.