In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1898 MARLIN HAMMER PUMP SHOTGUN?

ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
My girlfriend told me she saw some "bullets" at her friends garage sale. I thought I'd be looking at some reloading items. "Bullets" turned out to be a small box of ball ammo 50-60 rounds Soviet & NATO mix. It was then mentioned they had some GUNS to sell too. I ended up getting those "bullets" and an 1898 Marlin Hammer Pump 12ga. Shotgun. It has a 26" bbl. and serial # puts it at 1900/1901. Marlin Firearms warns these old guns are not safe to shoot using modern ammo. I've downloaded a couple of sites telling how to take it apart and put it back together with a check out of all the parts. What do you think? Worth the effort? Can I shoot reduced (skeet) loads in this? Wallhanger? Please tell me![|)]

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have no way of determining how safe a 100+ year old shotgun is, over the net. If your set on actually shooting it, at the very least take it to a competent gunsmith for inspection and test firing. Personally I would go with the advice from the folks at Marlin, just hang it over the fireplace as a decorator.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    "Wallhanger".........I've worked on several of these and it is NOT worth the effort. Poor design, prone to brekeage & wear.
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your advice. I plan on just looking this ONE over! Will follow steps methodically from web site. Of course if any parts are broken, worn or missing and cannot be replaced...it's a wallhanger. Other articles say this action is stronger than a Win. 1897. I also saw where the Europeans had smokeless powder for shotguns 20 years before rifles. America started using smokeless powder in 1893 for shotguns. This 1898 Marlin WAS designed to function with smokeless powder. I have worked up a 2 3/4 dram equilivant load to try once it checks out A-OK by me. If repairs/replacement is in order I intend to take this to Gunsmith.