In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 1892 and 62a

krustyakrustya Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
My father recently gave me two rifles which were handed down in my family.

I would like to understand the history of these, when these were made, and their estimated value.

The first is a Winchester model 1892 25-20 with a hollow butt. It has the sadle ring, and original leather strap. It is in excellent condition.
The serial number is 611329.

The 62a 22S.L or L.R serial number 147617.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    the best info i can give you is type into google what you want to know and click "enter or return".

example: http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory---east-grand-forks---winchester---863929-win-egf.shtml
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Model 62A was manufactured in March of 1942. Its value is strictly dependent upon its graded condition. If in typically found used condition, it is a $500 rifle... if it is virtually like new, it could be worth $2K+. As you can see, that is a substantial difference in value. It would be best if you posted pictures of it.

Your Model 1892 was manufactured circa 1913. I do not understand your reference to "hollow butt"... please explain, or better yet, post pictures. Again, the graded condition is very important in determining the estimated value.
  • krustyakrustya Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the butt of the rifle, there is a hole which appears to be for your hand, perhaps to easily withdrawl the rifle from a horseback holder. I'm not sure what it's called. I will try to post a picture.

Thank you for this information!

quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Your Model 62A was manufactured in March of 1942. Its value is strictly dependent upon its graded condition. If in typically found used condition, it is a $500 rifle... if it is virtually like new, it could be worth $2K+. As you can see, that is a substantial difference in value. It would be best if you posted pictures of it.

Your Model 1892 was manufactured circa 1913. I do not understand your reference to "hollow butt"... please explain, or better yet, post pictures. Again, the graded condition is very important in determining the estimated value.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert: Has the Winchester Model 62A in 100% new like condition actually appreciated that much? That would really be startling information to me. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide to this end.
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Bert: Has the Winchester Model 62A in 100% new like condition actually appreciated that much? That would really be startling information to me. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide to this end.

Yes indeed, a mint condition Model 62A is easily a $2K Winchester. I recently saw one that was NIB sell for $3200.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by krustya
    At the butt of the rifle, there is a hole which appears to be for your hand, perhaps to easily withdrawl the rifle from a horseback holder. I'm not sure what it's called. I will try to post a picture.

Thank you for this information!

I am still at a loss in understanding what you are trying to describe, which does not bode well for your SRC. Please post pictures of the butt.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

Yes indeed, a mint condition Model 62A is easily a $2K Winchester. I recently saw one that was NIB sell for $3200.

That's very good news, Bert. Thank you.
    What's next?