In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 12 chamber Question

TurnsignalJTurnsignalJ Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I hear so many different stories about the chamber length of the Winchester Model 12, 12 guage. Some say the early Model 12's had a short chamber, not long enough for a 2 3/4" shell. Some say only the 20 guage shotguns had the short chamber. Does anyone really know? What is the true facts?

Comments

• TurnsignalJTurnsignalJ Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a Winchester Model 12 barrel for sale. The barrel had Super-Speed and Super-X stamped on the barrel. It also had 2 3/4 stamped on the barrel, but 2 3/4 looked to be added. Was the Super-Speed barrels 3-inch chamber?
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I do know the correct answer.

All Model 1912 (and later Model 12) 12 gauge guns were made with a minumum 2-3/4" inch chamber (the later production Duck Guns were made with a factory 3" chamber).

All Model 1912 16 gauge and 20 gauge guns were made with a "short" chamber. The 16 gauge was 2-9/16" and the 20 gauge was 2-1/2". In April of 1919, Winchester redesignated the Model "1912" the Model "12". Then in 1927, the chamber length for the 16 & 20 gauge were changed to the now common 2-3/4" length. Prior to changing the chamber length, Winchester did not mark (or stamp) the chamber length on the 16 & 20 gauge guns. When they made the change to the 2-3/4" length, it was stamped on the bottom of the receiver just below the serial number. Within a short period of time, the chamber length stamp was moved to the left rear side of the barrel.