In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 12 rechambering problem

ihrulesihrules Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
First post here, hello to everyone.

I have recently become the proud owner of a 1958 Model 12 12ga which has been in my family forever as far as I know. The problem I am having is after a shell is fired the action won't slide to eject the shell and feed a new one. After enough back and forth with extreme force you eventually hear a light "click" and it does it's thing. I figured it was dirty so I got a diagram and instructions, removed the trigger group and bolt from the receiver, gave everything a good cleaning, inspection and lubrication, re assembled, checked it. everything seemed very smooth, when you point it straight up and hit the action release lever the action just falls open with no resistance whatsoever, when you dry fire it does require slight foreward pressure before it goes back. I thought that I may have fixed it so I test fired and had the same problem. I have read about chamber ring headspace clearance. Is this the space between the bolt and the chamber ring when the bolt is closed? Mine seems very tight. Anybody think I'm on the right track? Advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't thing that is your problem, the chamber ring is actualy part of the chamber and if it is slightly smaller the the chamber proper the base of the shell when fired will not fit throught the chamber ring without great force. it shounds more like a problem with the bolt lock release. the part with the 2 straight springs and 'hook' that the hammer activates when the gun is fired. that 'click' you hear is this part finaly releaseing the bolt lock.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    That click is unlocking the bolt lock, and if it didn't you could hold the trigger back and keep on pumping, or shooting just by working the forearm.. You need to push forward on the forearm to make it work as it should.... sometimes the recoil will help unlock it...
  • ihrulesihrules Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I don't thing that is your problem, the chamber ring is actualy part of the chamber and if it is slightly smaller the the chamber proper the base of the shell when fired will not fit throught the chamber ring without great force. it shounds more like a problem with the bolt lock release. the part with the 2 straight springs and 'hook' that the hammer activates when the gun is fired. that 'click' you hear is this part finaly releaseing the bolt lock.

I agree the ring may not be the problem. I removed it last night. The bottom portion of the ring slightlig sticks out further the the rest of the ring on the surface that meets the receiver, I thought this was the problem at first but uopn closer inspection it appears that it was machined this way so I having never seen one before I assume this is proper. Here's a pic, best one I was able to get, sorry
    ta4flv.jpg

I removed the bolt and trigger group again, found the screw that holds in the left hand extractor to be a little proud of the recessed hole that it should be in because it was also loose.You can see it in the pic from the other day, since the slot of the screw was aligned with the tiny notch in the bolt I didn't suspect anything, last night I noticed it wasn't lined up any more and it was further out. I tightened it down, Is it supposed to be tightened all of the way? I figured this was it, Thought it was fixed last night, went to bed happy, tried it with an empty shell again and now I don't think it's fixed, I'd like to walk out back and test fire now but being that it's Sunday morning and all I'll give the neighbors a break. Here's a pic of the trigger group also.
    iz5f0z.jpga4xwyp.jpg

It has to be something that only comes into play when a shell is inserted because otherwise it works perfect. I want to try a different brand shell, I've only used Win. 2 3/4", who knows it could be that simple but I doubt it.

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Winchester 1912Winchester 1912 Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good afternoon. The action of the Winchester Model 12 is designed in in such a way that upon firing, recoil will force the forend foward, due to the grip you have on it, this releases the action for cycling the empty shell out and in turn, brings the next shell out of the magazine and up, via the carrier, to the chamber. I think there must be some issue in the release mechanism. Remember, hold the forend firmly when firing and recoil should release the action to be cycled. Hang tight, this will be resolved. Someone on this forum will steer you in the right direction. Of the six Model 12s that I have, I've never had this issue with any of them. Could it be that the mechanism has been the victim of a poor attempt at modification or possibly a faulty repair job?
  • ihrulesihrules Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a chance to test fire it yesterday. It's all fixed, I'm sure it was that protruding screw that was "screwing things up.

Thanks,
    Mike