In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Model 53 .22 Jet/.22 LR

dsphddsphd Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Is it possible to use some other S&W revolver .22 LR and/or .22 mag cylnder (with gunsmith fitting) in the S&W Model 53? I do have the .22 Jet cylnder and .22 LR inserts, however, would also like to have the extra .22LR and/or .22 mag cyl. Thanks, Dave

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
    The extra .22LR cylinder was a $65 option on that pistol back in the day and had to be ordered along with the gun due to the fitting involved. For many years it was possible to return a Model 53 to S&W and have the extra cylinder fitted but since supplies of these .22 M53 cylinders are long gone S&W no longer offers this service. I don't see another S&W.22 cylinder working in a Model 53. A K-22/M17 cylinder would be too short resulting in a very large opening between the front of the cylinder and the forcing cone. If an OEM M53 .22LR cylinder could be found "on the loose" this is a workable project but such an item, even if it could be located, would no doubt be very expensive. I am not an S&W expert so hopefully one of our Smith guys will chime in with more info.
  • laytonj1laytonj1 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark is correct. The M53 cylinders are 1.67" and the K-22/M17 and M48 cylinders are 1.62"

Jim
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Also, 'back in the day', S&W refused to make a .22 WMR cylinder for the Model 53. They would only chamber the optional cylinder for the .22 LR.

Sidenote: I've been looking for a .22LR cylinder for the M53 for years. You see, it's a .357 Magnum cylinder blank, bored to .22 WCF Rem. Mag. (Jet), or, in the case of the 'option', bored to .22LR. Good luck with your search! Best, Joe

EDIT-Cartridge Nomenclature Correction courtesy Hawk Carse
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought this 53 a few years ago here on GB. Even though the barrels are stamped 22 magnum, they only shoot .22lr in the extra cylinder and with the inserts for the Jet cylinder.

[img][/img]IMG_2088.jpg
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All that the marking ".22 Magnum" means on a Model 53 is that it was chambered for a high velocity (magnum) .22 caliber round, that is, the .22 Jet. I believe this marking was started in the days before today's .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum was marketed.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TWalker
    All that the marking ".22 Magnum" means on a Model 53 is that it was chambered for a high velocity (magnum) .22 caliber round, that is, the .22 Jet. I believe this marking was started in the days before today's .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum was marketed.

Except that .22 Magnum and .22 Rem Jet are two entirely different calibers and the barrel marking could be confusing for some.

Also, the .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum was produced before the .22 Jet, not after. Smith made the models 48 & 51 Magnum revolvers beginning in 1959 & 60 respectively. The 53 .22 Jet did not come out until 1961.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nomenclature can be confusing.
    The .22 Jet is the .22 Remington Magnum.
    What most people call ".22 magnum" is the .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire.

S&W made the .22 Jet for .222" bullets, I assume to maintain accuracy with .22 lr in inserts or spare cylinder. So they wouldn't add .22 WRM capability because of its .224" bullet.
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As has been stated, the only problem is locating a cylinder of the proper length. If you can find a cylinder in 22lr it can easily be chambered to 22 WRM. The rest is semantics.