In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger 96/17 discontinued? Value?

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
How long has the 96/17 been discontinued? What would the value of one in 98% condition be? A local shop has one for sale and I am considering buying it. They are asking $350 and will probably take 10-20% less. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• 22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw one in pretty nice shape at a gun show this weekend and the asking price was $399. They may be discontinued but the Ruger website is still showing serial number production for them for 2009:

http://ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PS-SerialNumberHistory-RI.html#

I have one and haven't been excited by the accuracy. Also the receiver and barrel weren't well aligned so had to shim the scope to get point of impact within the adjustment range of the scope. Might be able to better align the barrel to the reciever if I took it apart but haven't tried. There are better choices for a 17 HMR; the Savage bolt actions seem to be pretty good for the money.

I am a fan of the 96/44 though and find that to be plenty accurate and able to handle heavy 44 mag 300 grain hand loads.