In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

94ae 1 of 100 1850 California Limited Edition

gunnerysongunneryson Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello all! This is my first post & I hope I am doing this correctly. I don't want to post in a section that is not appropriate but I have been searching for a week on this site & through Google & I cannot find information this rifle.

Winchester 94ae CAL 30-30
1 of 100
1850 California Limited Edition

I know doing a valuation is not free but if anyone can point me in the right direction in regards to evaluating, appraisal & ultimately selling both, I would greatly appreciate it!
I also have a:

Colt 44 Anaconda "Legacy Edition" I'd like to find info about as well.

I inherited both from my father who passed in 2001.

Respectfully,
"Gunneryson"

Comments

• MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My regards to your family in your loss. I can't really tell you much on value, Bert will probably provide some of the best information available on the Winchester though. My reply to this topic is simply this, Even if you are not a gun collector, I would suggest that if you do not have to sell these firearms due to financial difficulties, that you keep them and enjoy them. Whatever the value is, they will most likely not go down. I personally cherish everything that I have that was my fathers have no intention on selling off such items.

aaron
  • lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pictures would help evaluate condition but these are both special edition type guns. Unless they are completely New In Box, with box and all paperwork, unfired and without a scratch on them then they pretty much evaluate the same as a similar non special edition gun. With all the original stuff and NIB, they usually pick up anywhere from 15 percent to 20 percent over their counterparts.

I'm guessing without knowing condition or seeing photos but a ball park figure around this neck of the woods would be $400 to $450 for the Winchester and maybe $900 for the Anaconda, barrel length may change that figure on the Anaconda though.

Try going on GunBroker with your gun information and put in Completed Auctions and sort by Highest number of bids. That will show what has been actually paid by people for guns like yours, see if you can find one that matches yours and then add another $50 for FFL fees and shipping and you get a ball park idea of what yours might be worth.

Dan R
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you're close to the goal posts. We do the best we can at helping folks who are new to guns, but, as far as evaluations go, we are probably no better or worse than professionals. At least, we don't charge anything. But, we really need a detailed description, & that's especially so for "special edition" guns like yours. If they are missing the original case or cardboard packaging, if they have been fired, if the action has been worked, or even if they have been handled to the point wear can be seen, value can be reduced dramatically. And, photos are just about always necessary. GOOD photos, close=up & in focus.

If you want to sell guns, you really don't have to worry about "evaluating" them if you just list them for sale on an auction site. And, this one is as good as I have found. You can often find the "real" value of guns by going to the Gunbroker home page, click on the Smart Search link, enter a description, select COMPLETED auctions, & sort by HIGHEST NUMBER OF BIDS. That allows to see what folks actually bid for similar guns.

To sell your guns, go to the home page & select FOR SELLERS. That will take you to the sellers tutorial, & tell you just about everything you need to know.

Neal
  • gunnerysongunneryson Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys! I appreciate the information. Neither gun has ever been fired, they both still have the original plastic "tie" around the trigger for the rifle & looped through one of the bullet chambers for the pistol (sorry if I'm not using proper firearm terminology, I'm a true novice or newbie). The Anaconda came with it's own blue carrying case but the rifle just came in a fleece type "bag" with velcro closing at the end. Both have the original tags with serial numbers.

Thanks again for your info & I'm in no rush to sell but finding out as much info as possible would be nice & of course that includes value.
    [:)]
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,038 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, welcome to the forums.
    Your model 94 is not a certfied "Winchester" commemorative, it was embelished by a contractor after it was manufactured. Value is $300-$500 if it is unfired, unmarked and in the original box with paper work. Your Colt Anaconda is worth $900-$1,100 if in 85% or better condition. Pictures would help greatly in finding value.
    W.D.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Hello, welcome to the forums.
    Your model 94 is not a certfied "Winchester" commemorative, it was embelished by a contractor after it was manufactured. Value is $300-$500 if it is unfired, unmarked and in the original box with paper work. Your Colt Anaconda is worth $900-$1,100 if in 85% or better condition. Pictures would help greatly in finding value.
    W.D.

Hello Capn! In regards to the rifle how do you know about the embelished by contractor info? Is it because it didn't come with a case? That's pretty good knowledge without any photo's! I'm going to try & post some asap. Is
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 94 would have originally come in a box from Winchester but not in a gun sleeve. One of 100 is often a tip-off that it is not a Winchester commerative as their runs were larger. Finally, there are books that list these things, and if not in the book then some other after market orgainization (such as America Remembers, Bradley Exchange etc.) contracted 100 or 500 or 1,000 rifles from Winchester, did whatever embelishments they wanted and offered them for sale. Typically these "instant collectables" experience little or no secondary market demand and do not retain value well even if in pristine condition and original box.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    The 94 would have originally come in a box from Winchester but not in a gun sleeve. One of 100 is often a tip-off that it is not a Winchester commerative as their runs were larger. Finally, there are books that list these things, and if not in the book then some other after market orgainization contracted 100 or 500 or 1,000 rifles from Winchester, did whatever embelishments they wanted and offered them for sale. Typically these experience little or no secondary market demand and do not retain value well even if in pristine condition and original box.

Ahhh gotcha! Very good info, thank you!
    edited November -1
    I hope this works guys. I took my photo's to Photobucket & got the codes. I previewed them & it looks okay. Here's 2 pics of the Winchester 94ae with the Colt coming in another post.

DSCN0362.jpg
    DSCN0359.jpg
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello this topic will be locked after 10 post You did nothing wrong and just reopen with 94AE take two as a title. Winchester and Colt are two of the most collected firearms and as such many people study these brands and Bert H is one amoung many who are a great source of information There are standard issue Winchester rifles and then there are commemoratives that are listed in Winchester catalogs and then there are many special runs again made by Winchester and lastly there are Special editions that can be made by anyone that the firearm starts out as a standard model goes to a contractor that Modifies and sells as a "SPECIAL" model . for the most part all of these non standard models can loss up to 50% of their value if even shot once or missing factory boxes etc What CAPT. MIdnight was stating was this was not a Winchester issue as it now stands.
    edited November -1
    Here are a few photo's of the Colt

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg