In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CZ 85B

GKanakGKanak Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Just received a new CZ 85B, barrel has black/matte finish but CZ web site shows a very brilliant shiny barrel. Should I or can I scrub this down with steel wool to get it shiny?[?]

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GKanak,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

The first thing I think of when I read comments such as this, is the disclaimer that we read so often in today's advertising:

"Photograph may not not be an exact representation of the actual product."

I think this is unfortunate simply because it demonstrates a laziness to redo the photograph so it IS accurate.

The product description of the finish is lacking also except to call it 'black polycoat' which tells us nothing really.

Can you scrub it down? Sure, why not? You will probably find that the finish is tougher than you expect and adheres quite well to the metal, requiring more effort that originally expected. Polishing round surfaces requires some experience in order to maintain the cylindricity of the original barrel.

Gunsmiths routinely polish barrels that have been blued or parkerized for customers who like the shiny look.

There is an 'Ask a Question' button on the CZ Handgun portion of their website. It's a simple message type space for you to ask questions about the product. You might explore that with CZ.

Best.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GKanak
    Just received a new CZ 85B, barrel has black/matte finish but CZ web site shows a very brilliant shiny barrel. Should I or can I scrub this down with steel wool to get it shiny?[?]

Yes you "can", but
    No, you probably shouldn't.

The finish is there for a reason. . .to protect the metal.

Personally, I definitely would NOT do this. I've had the unfortunate experience seeing the metal of a bare-steel CZ-75 barrel develop superficial rust overnight. That could happen with any unprotected metal, and it is NOT good.

If you *MUST* have a shiny metal barrel, you might consider finding a stainless replacement barrel. I don't know of any sources off the top of my head, but I bet you could find one somewhere.

A factory shiny steel barrel can be had here:

http://czcustom.com/CZ-Factory-Barrels.aspx
  • GKanakGKanak Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. Ya know, I asked a few questions on the CZ web form but they have yet to answer one. Regardless, i will go with the advice given here. Thank You.