In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester mod. 1903, .22 cal.

gharghar Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I recently acquired a nice '03 clearly stamped on bbl. .22 L.R. I can't find where it was ever made in Long Rifle. I bought it at a gun show from a young man who said it was owned by his Grand Father. Can anyone shed some light on this rifle.It is in very good cond. What value?
Please email me at- ghar@awesomenet.net
Thanks, Glen Arthur

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you would like to post photos of your purchase, we can probably figure out what you have & what it's worth.

Neal
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Glen,

This is a public forum... not an email service.

As to your recently acquired Model 03, I suspect that it has a Model 63 barrel on it, or an aftermarket barrel. Does it have proof marks on the barrel? If so, is one of them a (P)?

As you seem to be aware, Winchester did not manufacture the Model 1903 (03) for the 22 LR. When the Model 03 was replaced by the Model 63 (in 1933), that is when the switch was made from the 22 Winchester Auto cartridge to the 22 Long Rifle cartridge.

It would be helpful if you could post a few pictures of the barrel markings.
  • gharghar Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The serial # of this rifle is 10252.Length of barrel is 18 3/4" from muzzle to receiver.It is plainly marked on barrel-

- winchester - 1
    Mod. 1903 .22 cal. L.R

All in the above manner, no proof marks showing.
    WHAT HAVE I GOT???
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Glen,

I can not tell you what you have, but the Cody Firearmns Museum Research Department can... they have the original factory ledgers for serial numbers 1 - 19,999. The ledgers will have the answer... if the rifle left the factory as a 22 L.R. you have an ultra rare Model 1903[:0]. If I were in your shoes, I would have the rifle researched (or lettered). Use the web link that follows my signature line.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ghar
    The serial # of this rifle is 10252.Length of barrel is 18 3/4" from muzzle to receiver.It is plainly marked on barrel-

- winchester - 1
    Mod. 1903 .22 cal. L.R

All in the above manner, no proof marks showing.
    WHAT HAVE I GOT???

Get a camera and post photos of this gem, we like Winchesters![:p]