In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

? Need Shipping Advise or Info Please ?

scampwalkerscampwalker Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
When shipping in a manufacture's box, what do I need to do or how do I need to pack it in order to avoid damage and to have it arrive on the other end as it left me?

My first time to ship out.

This is an upper end/premium bolt-action hunting rifle.

Any suggestions, tricks, tips etc. would be appreciated.

Thank you,
SW

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most manufacturers use boxes that aren't sturdy enough for shipping. Plus, they usually are marked in such a way that any fool can figure out it's a firearm.

You need to buy a larger shipping carton, & pad the inner box with bubble wrap, pillows, peanuts, etc. Try Brownells or Uline for cartons, & the fellas will suggest others.

Neal
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Experience has taught me that rifles are subjected to rough treatment in shipment whether handled by the USPS or parcel services. At a minimum I would pack it in two layers of pasteboard boxes. My choice for packaging is one of the rigid plastic foam lined gun cases. They can be bought for $15 or so and if you are fortunate they will come in a pasteboard box that can be used for covering the case when shipping. If I lack a proper sized box I just seal the gun case with packaging tape, attach a label and ship it. I think the potential thieves will recognize a box of the proper shape and size to ship a rifle as quickly as they recognize a gun case so I don't worry about the gun case tipping them off as to the contents. Always insure it and request an adult signature be required before delivery. I have arrived home (my ffl business address) and found a $l,000.00 rifle left on the front porch by UXX or FXX XX.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The shippers seem to toss these so that they hit on the end of the box, with damage to stock or barrel crown. May I suggest remove the bolt, and pad it VERY well. When packing the rifle/ shotgun, add about 4 inches of good shock absorbing padding at the butt and at the muzzle. Even if it is in a hard case. Have NOTHING on the outside that says GUN. If the addressee is Bob's Gun Shop, make it Bob's Shop. Overwrape the outside with nylon strapping tape. Insure. Pray.
  • scampwalkerscampwalker Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow...Thank you all and some great stuff above. Let me additionally ask:

1. It seems that all of you suggest some type of box or package beyond or instead of the manufactures box.... Someone told me the rifle might be more valuable if I can provide the original box with it...So what to do there??

2. The Bolt - When I try to package and set the rifle in the box, with plenty of padding and foam, it seems the bolt really gets in the way and seem to put a lot of pressure on the box itself when closed....Someone above mentioned pulling the bolt out of the gun and padding it well - Is that a standard way of shipping it?? (again, a newbie to this).

3. And, it sounds like most of you are saying that anything shipped in a manufacture's box will succumb to UXX/of Fxx XX treatment...Correct?

Please comment to the above and please add anymore info that would help, but again the above posts seem great and thank you

SW
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original box with have a styro insert to protect the rifle. Use a larger, well padded (peanuts, bubble wrap etc. to protect the OEM box, and to make it a little less obvious you are shipping a high end rifle.

I have shipped guns in a Borestore, inside a foam lined plastic case inside a peanut lined cardboard box. Even brown did not damage it.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,453 ******
    edited November -1
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    When shipping a firearm you do not want any indication that the package contains a firearm. Shipping in the original box is a dead giveaway that it contains a firearm. Additionally any added value that the original box would add would be greatly decreased by taping it up and attaching a shipping lable, etc. Get a larger box that the original box will ship in. Rifles are shipped from the factory with the bolt removed.
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 970 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always remove the bolt and box it separately
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the gorrila's from the zoo work the night shift at shipping companys to pay for their extra banana's..getting 8 hours of work done in two..