In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR15 FRONT SIGHT BASE REMOVAL

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,488 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a new CMMG AR15 upper in 6.8. It has the pinned on front sight housing. I'm using the Brownells front sight fixture. I'm using the proper sized punch and a 2lb. hammer. The pins will not budge any suggestions???

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    You do know they only move one way, they are a tapered pin. With out seeing it I can not say what way they are in.

Some take a harder hit then others to move.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Puy a drop of Kroil on them and make sure you go the right way.Tapered pins
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,488 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using the Brownells front sight pin fixture. There's one way in and one way out. I'm using the out side. I put some miracle machine oil on the pins last night and it seemed as the stuff leaked through.

[img][/img]MVC-FRTSGT1F.jpg
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bigger hammer.
    Really.

CP
  • aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cpermd is right; a 2 lb hammer is too small. Make sure that you have a punch with a short shank (Brownell's calls them a starting punch), make sure that the barrel/front sight is in uniform contact with the sight fixture, put on safety glasses (required) and whack the punch with a good blow from large hammer (some use the dead blow type).
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,488 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I brought home a 3 pounder from work today if that doesn't work I'm getting the sledge hammer out.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barrel needs to be mounted solidly in a heavy vise with copper or lead soft jaws and the punch be given a ringing blow using a large hammer.
    It can be a 2# hammer.
    You need two punches: a tapered punch having a flat point to start the pins moving and a pin punch to drive them out.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cpermd
    Bigger hammer.
    Really.

CP

Really, really bigger hammer maybe. [}:)]

I've removed a dozen or so front sights, they can be a real bugger to get out. I've always tapped out left to right as yo have in the photo.

A very short steel punch as opposed to a long one might help you transfer more of the blow to the pin.