In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Flintlock Pistol Identification

hifigthifigt Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I recently acquired a flintlock pistol and need help with it's history and origin. it is aprox .65 caliber, smooth bore. Has fake ramrod carved from part of the forearm. This fake rod appears to go into a brass base as you would find with a functional ramrod. the parts are apparently hand made due to the crude nature of the screw and threads etc. The only marking appears to be a large crown lying on it's side and the letters "LLAZA" on the barrel. These are stamped or engraved "upside down" on the barrel. There is another very small stamp which looks like a deer or some such animal, but may have just rusted and changed from something else. The wood is heavily inlaid with "V" shaped silver (not round) wire inletted into small groves that were cut ornately into the grip and forearm. The barrel has some engraving as well and is about 10 inchs long. There is a metal butt cap which is ornate and has tangs which extend upward to almost meet the trigger guard and to near top of the grip's back and barrel tang junction.

Any ideas? thanks

Comments

• hifigthifigt Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently received a flintlock pistol passed down from my grandparents and I'm trying to find more out about it (year or era made, where pistol was made, who made it, estimated value, etc. The pistol is in beautiful all original condition and contains alot of engraving throughout the handle, trigger guard, and under side of pistol. On the butt of the handle there is a beautiful engraving of 3 revolutionary ear men on horses. Up near the flintlock mechanism there is another engraving of 2 revolutionary era men on horses fighting with some sort of body armor engraving. There is a beautiful engraving on the opposite side of the flint lock mechanism along with engraving on the trigger guard and under side of the pistol. I have pictures I can send (not sure if you can post them on this message board). The barrel is roughly 10.5" long and is semi round (round near discharge end and hex shaped near base of barrel. On top of the barrel near the base there is a small engraving which has a Crown at top with 5 rows of letters as follows:

AV
    BRE (not sure but could be a fourth letter Z?)
    DEN (not 100% sure on the N)
    FEI (not 100% sure on F and I)
    TEI (not 100% sure of E)

This area with the crown and letters is roughly 1/2" long by 1/4" wide and small and extreamly hard to photograph to read or see the engraving. I used a magnifying glass to read what I could.

I can supply more information or pictures if needed and can be reached at email brian.wedin@canlines.com.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are instructions for posting photos in the forum.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Quality close-ups would be best. Many folks try to post cellphone pics taken in poor lighting conditions, these are worthless!
  • hifigthifigt Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hifigt
    I recently received a flintlock pistol passed down from my grandparents and I'm trying to find more out about it (year or era made, where pistol was made, who made it, estimated value, etc. The pistol is in beautiful all original condition and contains alot of engraving throughout the handle, trigger guard, and under side of pistol. On the butt of the handle there is a beautiful engraving of 3 revolutionary ear men on horses. Up near the flintlock mechanism there is another engraving of 2 revolutionary era men on horses fighting with some sort of body armor engraving. There is a beautiful engraving on the opposite side of the flint lock mechanism along with engraving on the trigger guard and under side of the pistol. I have pictures I can send (not sure if you can post them on this message board). The barrel is roughly 10.5" long and is semi round (round near discharge end and hex shaped near base of barrel. On top of the barrel near the base there is a small engraving which has a Crown at top with 5 rows of letters as follows:

AV
    BRE (not sure but could be a fourth letter Z?)
    DEN (not 100% sure on the N)
    FEI (not 100% sure on F and I)
    TEI (not 100% sure of E)

This area with the crown and letters is roughly 1/2" long by 1/4" wide and small and extreamly hard to photograph to read or see the engraving. I used a magnifying glass to read what I could.

I can be reached at email brian.wedin@canlines.com.

100_13482.jpg

100_13561.jpg

100_13491.jpg

100_13532.jpg

100_13541.jpg

100_13552.jpg

100_13635.JPG

100_1371.JPG

100_13742.JPG

100_13621.JPG
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    The proofmarks look Spanish to me.

100_1371.JPG
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    100_13561.jpg

100_13532.jpg

If you could resize your photos it would be much better for the forum. The thumbs are to small, and these are to big.