In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crescent / Worthington

RogerBRogerB Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I've purchased a double barrel for my husbands bday, and would like to research it. Unfortuately, the info. Im finding is pretty vague.

Its stamped Worthington Arms Co., and inside is stamped 871898 with a two (2) stamped over the seriel number and a crescent to the right.

Is there somewhere to go to track this seriel number? What does the (2) mean, and am I correct in assuming that the crescent shaped is the trademark for Crescent Fire Arms?

Thank you so much for any info. your able to supply me with.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my reference your shotgun is what is known as a "Store Brand" gun. It was made for the George Worthington Co., who was located in Cleveland Ohio. These Store Brand or Hardware type guns were utility grade shotguns who were made by different manufacturers over the years. Every time the store would run low on shotguns, they would have a manufacturer who could make them cheaper make some more. It wasn't necessarily always Crescent, Stevens also made the same type/grade utility shotguns.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,

Worthington Arms Company: Trade name used by the H. & D. Folsom Arms Company on various types of firearms. Most likely it was manufactured by Cresecent for H. & D. Folsom.

Are you sure that there is not a "1" just in front of the "2"... it may be very lightly struck.

Crescent was in business up to 1930.
  • RogerBRogerB Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    Hello,

Worthington Arms Company: Trade name used by the H. & D. Folsom Arms Company on various types of firearms. Most likely it was manufactured by Cresecent for H. & D. Folsom.

Are you sure that there is not a "1" just in front of the "2"... it may be very lightly struck.

Crescent was in business up to 1930.

I just re-looked under magnification. Nope, no (1). Its just stamped 2. Do you know what this means?
    Also, is there somewhere I can go to reference the serial number? If it was made by Folsom, would the serial number be theirs, Crescents or Worthington? Im really getting confused again... sorry.

Thank you both for your reply and info.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The way it works is that a number of companies would manufacture guns for sale by others. If your local hardware store wanted to sell shotguns, they could order a dozen and have Crescent stamp them Worthington, or Champion or New York Arms and sell them. I have documented over 150 differnt names used, and another fellow here says he knows of over 400. These were typically utilitarian shotguns sold for no more than $10 - $12 in their time. Many are not safe to shoot any longer and though they are old, they are not uncommon, there is little collector interest, and they command modest prices, mostly as decorative items. We call them "Wall Hangers." I paid $160 for mine (a little too much, but from a good friend and it was his father's), as a wall hanger. There was no Worthington gun company.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no idea what the "2" means, but can tell you this... it isn't important to the gun. There are no serial number listings available.
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your assistance! Have a blessed day.....
  • Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    As said it was a quite common practice in the late 1800s and early 1900s for wholesale and retail sporting goods dealers and hardware stores to want shotguns with names of their own choosing to sell. The major gun makers were only too happy to meet this demand. Crescent Fire Arms of Norwich,CT was the biggest maker ever of such guns making over 2,000,000 shotguns using over 400 known different names. Now when trying to identify one of these guns it is very important to get the name exactly right. I have five listings for guns with some form of the name Worthington including Worthington Arms, Worthington Arms Co, Worthington Challanger. These guns were made by Crescent Fire Arms. There are also George Worthington and Worthington Special made by Stevens Arms & Tool Co. The serial number you give for your gun is too high for a Crescent made gun. Please check it one more time or check the name.
    edited November -1
    Again, thank you all so much. I certainly didn't mean to buy my husband a wall hanger to hunt deer. After reading your responses, I ran outside and added this rifle to my garage sale stuff and sold it almost immediately. I just pray the Amish gentlemen doesn't get injured using it.

Im off today to buy a Remington.

Happy hunting all, and god bless!

i have worthington arms co.#262962 right here in 99% original condition. bought it at an estate auction of an auctioneer's collection. no one wanted it at $150.00. a hardware store gun from long ago that has never seen much use somehow in over 80 years
    edited November -1
    I sold mine yesterday at my garage sale for $75.00, then went to Fin Feather and Fur and purchased a new Remington. Its beautiful and top of the line. No problems. At least I know the thing wont hunt my husband, and he in turn can hunt the deer.

[:D]