In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

norinco sks manufactured date ??

magicms1234magicms1234 Member Posts: 73
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
how can i fin out the date this sks was manufactured?????????? It is a norinco sks paratrooper . takes striper clips an all numbers match. Stated to me you can convert mag to take reg ak-47 one. Has bayonet lug for folder but no blade. IS THIS POST or PRE BAN GUN SS# is 11525735 . Has markings on barrel( cja sfldnt made in china ). Plus what might the value be? Any help would be GREAT .

Comments

• lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure that there is way to tell. A lot of Norinco SKS's came into this country in the late 80's/early 90's, I picked one up new in the box in 1991 for about $110 with accessories. My serial number is 8 digits long but starts with the letter "C", don't know if that helps you any or not. Mine is C4902XXXX and I know it was manufactured pre-ban because I acquired it in 1991.
    I don't even know if the Chinese even sequentially numbered them or if they used the same serial number over and over again, who knows.

Dan R
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best I remember the serial numbers may have been seq at A factory but every distributor/importer seemed to have there own seq of serial numbers. Since the bayonet is missing my guess is that it is a later import after some of the restrictions were in place or 'post ban' if you will. At one time you could buy sks 'tent stakes' for about $1 each.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the SKS was not defined a "semiautomatic assault weapon" by the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, the terms "pre-ban" & "post-ban" are not relevant. But, as Dan R. says, it was likely made before the "ban".

The AK mag conversion for the SKS rarely, if ever, works. Leave it alone, or switch to the 20 round fixed mag.

The value of common guns can be found by going to the Gunbroker home page & clicking on the Smart Search link. Enter your description, select COMPLETED auctions & sort by HIGHEST NUMBER OF BIDS FIRST, & look at auctions with photos of guns that are similar to yours.

Neal
  • PEZHEAD265PEZHEAD265 Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The paratrooper's has a shorter stock.I am pretty sure that the norinco is the only sks that can't have the bayo att. by Fed. law It is the only one that can't be sold as a c&r because they can't trace the serial numbers.