In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 Gauge

KevinCroKevinCro Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a Wingmaster 20 gauge this morning for 275. I don't know a lot about shotguns. I was looking for a 20 gauge 870 wing master with a modified choke to dove hunt with and this gun fit that prescription exactly. So in short I'm not worried about value, as I plan to use this gun. I simply would like to know when it was made. I don't need an exact year or anything just a time frame would be sufficient. I plan to call Remington on Monday to get the exact time of manufacturing. The serial number is 451856X. The barrel is stamped MOD with BCY underneath it along with 20ga for 2 3/4 or shorter shells. I have read and confirmed by measuring, that this gun was built on the 12 gauge frame which I think puts it prior to 79 (not sure). Thank you for any help.

Comments

• mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your barrel code (BCY) doesn't seem to fit the pattern for dating the barrel which is the only published data available for Remington. The "sticky" (at the top of this forum list) title for serial numbers will direct you to the Remington number site.

If you have a 20 gauge "standard" Model 870 it is a 20 gauge built on a 12 gauge receiver. They did this with the Model 1100 also until the lightweight models were introduced. Since there are many less "standard" barrels than LT and LW barrels yours may be original to the gun, as in no one put a different barrel on it since it was new. These barrels are not interchangeable because of the barrel ring and the barrel fit (diameter) to the receiver. Check your barrel code again and then check the dating site mentioned above. Otherwise, Remington is the only one who will probably be able to date your receiver alone by serial number.

BTW, $275 for an 870 Standard 20 gauge sounds like an OK price and if you are OK with it, that's the most important part.
  • KevinCroKevinCro Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just to update this post. I called Remington and the gun was made in 1955. Thanks for the help.
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    You got a good deal in my opinion. I prefer the older guns anyway, I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it.