In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W revolver question

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Does this look like engraving to you?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142378387

Any Smith guys aware of this model?

Is it worth that price?

I was interested in it until I saw the lock on the left side, failed to notice that a first few times I looked at it. I'd prefer an older .357. I've contacted the owner because he's local but I think I am gonna stay away from it. There are a few 66's out there that have caught my eye.

Comments

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,057 ******
    edited November -1
    Laser-etched, mass-produced engraving.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's LASER engraved, not unusual on recent Smiths.

I seem to recall seeing this offered as a factory special edition.

The gun in question is a Ladysmith. A NIB M60 LS would sell for $600. I would expect a used one to sell in the $400-500 range.

Neal

EDIT: Dan R., I think he means "accept". Spelling comes hard to sum of us.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that really engraving or laser etched? Doesn't say anything in the advert, looks like some sort of stick on - no depth anywhere.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is laser etching that was put on by someone other thar S&W [B)]
  • lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suspect he wants $600 for it what with starting bid of $600 and Buy it Now of $600 also.
    Seems high for a second hand smith with laser etching on it, reminds me of a decal my grand kid had that they could wet and put on their arm as a fake tattoo but that's just my opinion.
    Not sure how to buy it if you wanted it, the seller states he will except checks or money orders so I guess you would have to give him cash in payment..........

Dan R
  • laytonj1laytonj1 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:That is laser etching that was put on by someone other thar S&W
    Actually, it was part of a special run made by S&W for Lew Horton distributing. The same laser etching was offered on several models.

Jim
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by laytonj1
    quote:That is laser etching that was put on by someone other thar S&W
    Actually, it was part of a special run made by S&W for Lew Horton distributing. The same laser etching was offered on several models.

Jim

Are the grips original to that Lew Horton variation? If it were a Lew Horton, don't you think the seller would advertise that?
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Are the grips original to that Lew Horton variation? If it were a Lew Horton, don't you think the seller would advertise that?

If they were aware of it, they would, but they might not be aware of it.

In terms of price, its high.

As mentioned new in box 357 Ladysmith revolvers run about $600-650.

This one isn't new, and is pretty unlikely to develop collectors value, especially given the shape its in.

I agree with Nmeyers. Used Smith 357 60s are fetching roughly $400-500 depending on shape and location. (If you can live without the words "Ladysmith" engraved on there).