In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 722 .244 Oddity ??

MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,460 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hello,
I picked up a Remington 722 in .244 caliber. Strikes me as odd that the barrel does not have the "goose egg" (larger diameter portion) for the rear sight dovetail. Barrel is a Remington factory marked .244, date coded July 1959 (O F). It is drilled & tapped for a rear sight, and has a ramp front sight. Serial number of rifle is around 450,000.
Can anyone shed some light on this rifle? I checked auction side and all of the 722's have the barrel swell & dovetail.

Thanks,

Greg

Comments

• richardaricharda Member Posts: 393
    edited November -1
    Late 722s did indeed have a acrew-on rear sight, which did away with the 'lump' in the barrel for the dovetailed sight. (At some point Remington also changed the twist on the .244 from 1-12" to 1-9" to provide better performance with deer-weight bullets; you might check and see if your rifle also has this.)
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best I understand the 1-12 twist went away after 1958, and the 1-9 twist came on in 1959. edit: thats why you can get a .244 in 1-12" or 1-9" twist but the 6mm Rem I understand is a 1-10" twist.

Is there still a rear sight with the rifle?
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,460 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, no rear sight. Plug screws only. I will check the twist rate. Front ramp & sight look like typical early 700 stuff.

Thanks, guys, for your replies. I was hoping this was a special order like a Winchester 70 "Gopher Special", even though they had the goose egg.

How high do 721 / 722 serial numbers go ??