In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

yugo 7.62x39

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Just curious if this type of ammo is better than a Wolf product. More than anything, is it non-corrosive? Most of what I have seen is brass FMJ, but I have not found any information regarding whether it's corrosive or not.

Comments

• beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're referring the the brass-cased Yugo surplus ammo, its corrosive.
  • MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Beantown. That is the answer I was searching for.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    If you're referring the the brass-cased Yugo surplus ammo, its corrosive.

+1
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Note, that just because its corrosive, that doesn't make it poor ammo. I've got some in my closet, and it works great. I haven't done extensive testing, but I've heard that its more accurate than the usual Russian steel-case and that the Yugo SKS rifles just love this stuff.

The question is, at $0.20 per round for it are you better off with NON-corrosive STEEL case ammo at $0.22 per round (which appears to be the going rates for both).

(My answer is that it depends on how much you want to shoot, WHAT you want to shoot, and whether or not you are willing to clean your gun thoroughly).

The best news of all, is that the ammo shortage appears to be winding down, albeit slowly. Now, there is plenty of 7.62x39 around, and prices have dropped. I also saw (for the first time in a long time) plenty of 9mm luger, .40SW, and other common handgun cartridges on the shelves at a local retailer.