In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Item Identification

mltitlntdmltitlntd Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I found this item in a box that belonged to my girlfriend's late husband. He had two weapons that I know of: Some kind of early military bolt-action long-arm and an early 20th century side-by-side Winchester shotgun. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks in advance!!!

whatisit.jpg<p>
whatisit2.jpg<p>
whatisit3.jpg<p>
whatisit4.jpg<p>

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know for certain, but back in the old day of paper shotgun shells there use to be problems with stuck shells, because of moisture expanding th shells. It might be one of the combination tools made for getting the shells out of the chambers when the extractors couldn't hack it?
  • mltitlntdmltitlntd Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks - sounds like a possibility. Can anyone support this idea, or know any different?
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's part of the tobacco tin cleaning kit called the RG34 which was made for the MG34 and also used by the German army during WWII for the K98k.
    Your piece was orginally used to clean the chambers of MG34 barrels. With the addition of the small tit that was added after manufacture, it was used to remove the floorplate of the Mauser rifle.
  • mltitlntdmltitlntd Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I am on a motorcycle tour, now holed up in Knoxville, waiting out the rain. Earlier, I had posted a question about a weapon owned by my girlfriend's late husband:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=342115

Could this tool be for that rifle?

Thanks!

Steven
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, it was never issued with that rifle.