In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Florida Hand Gun Selling Info

delsouldelsoul Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am wondering what restrictions there might be for selling a hand gun to another person face to face in my home state of Florida. No shipping involved. I am not a dealer. If a person without a concealed weapon permit buys a hand gun at a dealer, they have to wait 3 days to pick it up and a background check is done. I wonder if this has to be done on a personal level if I am selling to a friend.

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Florida and have posed the same question to the local Sheriff Department. What they told me was to provide a receipt and have the buyer provide a Florida drivers license.

I suggest you contact your local City/County Police Department and pose the question to them. From my understanding, the only thing actually required by law, is that the buyer have a valid Florida drivers license. That is how so many face-to-face transactions occur at local gun shows. In my opinion, a receipt is a PLUS.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry Mooned, that's not safe advice.

FL is one of those states with different laws in different counties; some have a waiting period for handguns. The best thing for Mike to do is insist that the transaction be handled by the buyer's local dealer.

I know, I'm such a wuss, but I hate prison food.

Neal
  • delsouldelsoul Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I wonder if it's different for selling long guns. I imagine it would be less of an issue because there is little issue with buying a long gun in Florida as long as you are 18 and not a felon.

-Mike
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by delsoul
    Thanks for the info. I wonder if it's different for selling long guns. I imagine it would be less of an issue because there is little issue with buying a long gun in Florida as long as you are 18 and not a felon.

-Mike

Certain municipalities here in FL also have a waiting period for long guns. Right after I moved here (before I had my CWP) I purchased a shotgun at the Clearwater, FL gun show. I had to wait 3 days before I could pick it up.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • cougar8040cougar8040 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FTF is perfectly legal in Florida, You are required to ask if the person can legally own and possess a firearm and that person has to be a resident of Florida. Go to ATF web page and it gives all the info you need for federal and state to state guide lines.
    I live in Florida and have done FTF on numerous occaisions, I do a firearms bill of sale on both sides buyer,seller,trades which you are not required to do. And if a person has a CCW it is even more the better. Don't get caught up in arm chair advice go to ATF web page all the info is there.quote:Originally posted by MOONED
    I live in Florida and have posed the same question to the local Sheriff Department. What they told me was to provide a receipt and have the buyer provide a Florida drivers license.

I suggest you contact your local City/County Police Department and pose the question to them. From my understanding, the only thing actually required by law, is that the buyer have a valid Florida drivers license. That is how so many face-to-face transactions occur at local gun shows. In my opinion, a receipt is a PLUS.
  • bayl778bayl778 Member Posts: 349 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    what cougar said ++
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Cougar is right on the money for face to face sells in FL. You live in one of the most gun friendly states.