In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

This made my day:

TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Maybe even my year!

A coworker who knows I like guns just brought a few in to the office for me to take a look at.

His father recently passed away, and his Dad had always told him that his inheritance was locked away in his gun safe.

Dave had a gym bag and with him, and pulled out the following guns.

1860 Navy Colt. Nice museum piece.

Starr Single Action, an original civil-war era military percussion pistol with matching serial numbers. This was the cleanest gun of the bunch.

Remington New Model 1861 Army Revolver. Nice looking piece, but the action is locked up.

S&W 45 nickel plated Scolfield: This gun is a shooter, but the barrel has clearly been cut down.

Colt Single Action "Peace Maker":
This was a really nice gun that looks to be a 5 ? "barrel, wooden grip 38/40 caliber revolver. He has a Colt letter of authenticity, and he told me that it was originally ordered from Colt by someone named (Bat Masterson).

Now I haven't seen this letter yet but I want to. I kind of looked at him like he had two heads when he told me this until he showed me the next gun.

This one caused me almost fall out of my chair.

1848 Percussion Army Revolver (Dragoon) with sserial number #250.

The low three digit serial number makes me believe it is a Hartford English model. The Harford model serial numbers ranged from 1-700. I don't know if this makes it more valuable, but it defiantly is a low serial number for an even lower produced run of guns. It has British proof stamps around the cylinder's breech and on the left barrel lug as well as by the hand-engraved Colts/Patent markings on the frame. I have never held a real Dragoon, much less one of such limited production. This gun is extremely clean for its age with a bit of light surface rust from finger prints. It would clean up easily and I told him to please lightly oil it, and to go place it in a safety deposit box.

He doesn't want to depart with any of them ether.[V]

Trinity +++

Comments