In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1892 Winchester - BERT

Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Bert - I believe the pics you requested regarding tang and barrel markings are in this thread:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=408465

Comments

• viprdudeviprdude Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just about to email him these exact pictures. I want to thank you for bringing this to his attention.

I also do not know if they are good enough for him to be able to see everything. There are no more marks really to be seen.

One thing I could not get a good picture of was the hammer. The top most part of the hammer (say where your thumb would depress to pull it back manually) has a checkered pattern on it and if you were to point the rifle barrel to the ground and look at the rifle from a top view while pointing it to the ground it looks like the top of a heart on the tip of the hammer. Also, the magazine tube has a large screw on it, I did not even try to remove it.

There are no other markings that I can see on the gun. I can get better pictures later this week but I cannot right now.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by viprdude
    I was just about to email him these exact pictures. I want to thank you for bringing this to his attention.

I also do not know if they are good enough for him to be able to see everything. There are no more marks really to be seen.

One thing I could not get a good picture of was the hammer. The top most part of the hammer (say where your thumb would depress to pull it back manually) has a checkered pattern on it and if you were to point the rifle barrel to the ground and look at the rifle from a top view while pointing it to the ground it looks like the top of a heart on the tip of the hammer. Also, the magazine tube has a large screw on it, I did not even try to remove it.

There are no other markings that I can see on the gun. I can get better pictures later this week but I cannot right now.

They are not clear enough... please send well illuminated close-up pictures as requested.
    edited November -1
    I will! Thanks for helping everyone!
    edited November -1
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/cdaly1892_060706/

Can someone check the validity of this source? I think my gun fits in with the group in the last paragraph.

Original Winchester Model 1892s were offered in carbine, rifle, short rifle, and musket variations. At its introduction a standard Winchester Model 1892 rifle had a 24-inch round barrel. An extra-cost option was a full- or half-octagon barrel. (Interestingly, octagon barrels were more popular even though they were more expensive.) The standard stock design for Model 1892 rifles was a straight grip with a crescent-shaped, steel buttplate. Pistol-grip buttstocks and shotgun-style buttplates were custom-order options as were barrel lengths as short as 14 inches and as long as 30 inches.
    edited November -1
    I am not trying to restore it, just find out what it is about and its history and to clean it up a little.

Quest for information is difficult this day and age with so many misunderstandings and the disconnects from people, yikes.

Anyway, thank you all again! I appreciate it!
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    Please share Bert's findings with us and best of luck to you!
    edited November -1
    Thanks but this gun needs a lot more money than luck, haha.

I don't have money to do anything serious besides clean the outside of it and play with it some. Gives me something to do to pass time though, that is for sure!

I will when I find out share what the findings are.
    edited November -1
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/cdaly1892_060706/

Can someone check the validity of this source? I think my gun fits in with the group in the last paragraph.

Original Winchester Model 1892s were offered in carbine, rifle, short rifle, and musket variations. At its introduction a standard Winchester Model 1892 rifle had a 24-inch round barrel. An extra-cost option was a full- or half-octagon barrel. (Interestingly, octagon barrels were more popular even though they were more expensive.) The standard stock design for Model 1892 rifles was a straight grip with a crescent-shaped, steel buttplate. Pistol-grip buttstocks and shotgun-style buttplates were custom-order options as were barrel lengths as short as 14 inches and as long as 30 inches.

The information quoted is correct. However, I do not believe that your Model 1892 is a factory original "Short" Rifle. Please measure the precise distance from the muzzle face to the exact center of the front sight dovetail cut. Also, measure the exact distance from the muzzle face to the exact center of the magazine tube retaining ring on the underside of the barrel. The outcome of your measurements will tell me the story.
    edited November -1
    In looking at the posted pictures more closely, and based on what I can make heads & tails of, it appears that it should have had a serial number in the 250,000 - 280,000 range. That would make it an early 1900s (circa 1905) vintage Model 1892.

Have you remove the butt stock yet?
  • BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, the magazine tube has a large screw on it, I did not even try to remove it.

viprdude,

That "big screw" may be the magazine plug. DO NOT try to remove it with a big screwdriver. The giant slot is just a decoration. The plug is held in the front of the magazine with a much smaller screw, which goes up through the outer magazine wall, then througn the plug, then through the other outer magazine wall, then into the undeside of the barrel. You have to put your finger on the plug to keep the magazine spring inside, then remove the smaller screw, and then the plug & spring & follower.[:D]