In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 59 .22

JudgeSmailsJudgeSmails Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I recently acquired an old winchester model 59 .22 rifle.

I have a number of questions that I couldn't find on previous posts.
For the sake of clarity I'll just list them.

1. Is there a serial number from this circa 1931 rifle? If so where is it?

2. I understand that there were approximately 9500 of these made and they have some value. Do a want to refurbish this gun or is it worth more as is?

3. If refinishing it is okay is there anything special I should do or be aware of.

4. What do they go for in average condition?

Thanks

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,

The Model 59 was not serialized, and there were just 9,293 of them made, all in the year 1930. The Model 59 was introduced in May of 1930, and it was discontinued at the end of December 1930. The Great Depression, and Winchester's eminent bankruptcy were responsible for the very short production period.

Do NOT have it refinished!

Because the Model 59 is not a commonly found rifle, there is not much data on what they "typically" sell for. The exact graded condition will determine what your rifle is ultimately is worth.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Show us some GOOD pics for more info.
  • JudgeSmailsJudgeSmails Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll try and get some pics. I don't have a very high megapixel ratio on my camera so a lot of details get lost when I take the picture.

The gun was my wife's grandfathers first gun, I wanted to get it either re-blued or nickel plated and have the wood redone then give it to my father in law as a gift. As I suspected though it appears the value on this would decrease with any cleanup work.

It currently has the appearance of a 80 year old weapon that has gone * hunting every night it could (which is pretty darn true) so right now it looks like hell. Still operates beautifully though, shoots better than the newer ruger, savage and remingtons I have.

Since it looks like hell is there anything I can do to bring the appearance back ?

Thanks again.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JudgeSmails
    Since it looks like hell is there anything I can do to bring the appearance back ?

Thanks again.

There is no way to answer your question adequately until we see pictures of the rifle.
    edited November -1
    I'm not the greatest photographer and the digital camera I have was the greatest when I bought it 9 years ago (not so much now). So unfortunately some of these are a tad blurry. Additionally I couldn't get enough contrast to see the stampings on the barrel. Either way, I think they give enough of an overall picture of the condition of the rifle.

thanks

ry%3D400

ry%3D400
    ry%3D400
    ry%3D400
    ry%3D400
    ry%3D400
    ry%3D400
    ry%3D400
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm... the good news is that it is all there and still in one piece. Unfortunately, the condition is not all that good.

That said, there is really very little that you can do to it to make it better without further damaging it. My only recommendation would be to take the barreled action out of the stock, and clean it up with some Kroil and copper wool (or 0000 steel wool with minimal elbow grease). The stock is beyond help, and if you tried sanding and refinishing it, you will only make it worse. My advice... do nothing to it other than cleaning the barreled action.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. After posting this I've been reading many of the other threads, there is most certainly a wealth of knowledge on this forum. I've been sitting here for a few hours already this evening.

For the 3 dollars and change that he paid for it back in 1930 I'm pretty sure he got his money's worth.

Since this is an heirloom I'm fighting the internal battle to get it cleaned up, nickel plated, nice and shiny - vs. a collectors viewpoint of don't touch the darn thing.

thanks
    edited November -1
    Making it look "shiny & new" will in my opinion diminish its history in your family. The rifle is the way it is because it was used for many many years. As it sits today, it has its own story to tell...
  • BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JudgeSmails,

About all that I will add to this query is that you should somehow document that rifle, so that your family is aware of what it is, and where it came from. Also, while I would use your gun, if it were mine, I would just repair & clean it (like you would with any gun that you use), as necessary. I fear that keeping your rifle in its present condition may make someone else think it is "just an old, rotting piece of junk", though restoration is really not in the cards for it. Perhaps, you could take some family members shooting, so they can see you use the rifle, and realize what it is.[;)]

Good luck,