In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question on recommended .38 special defensive ammo

mr_floppymr_floppy Member Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
What's the latest advice for .38 special revolvers regarding home defensive ammunition? A friend is asking and they have 2 wheel guns.
Both steel framed with 2" barrels.
1. Is a Colt Detective Special. I can not at this time determine if pre or post 70's manufacture.
2. Second is a blued steel Smith and Wesson model not currently known. But definitely steel framed.

Sorry the information is a bit thin but what's a good ball park recommendation on defensive ammo? Avoid +P ? or not? and what brand, weight and type bullet.

Thanks for any help. Floppy

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since his guns both have steel frames, they should handle +P ammo just fine. I would suggest a semi jacketed or lead hollow point bullet weighing at least 158gr.

The 158's give better penetration and the HP design some expansion. One problem is the short barrels cause a loss of velocity and expansion performance.
  • Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 38+P but my pistol is designed for it. Anything in 125 or 158 grain jacketed hollow points should work fine. I've used them for years or you can purchase frangible ammo which won't go through your walls for a couple bucks each.Depends on your situation
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they gave us 50 responses on this forum, you'd get 50 different opinions.

Even with a steel frame, less powerful loads give faster follow-up, plus they can still be quite effective. The first US Air Marshal's used .38 wadcutters, & I wouldn't feel handicapped with them.

There's also a lot to be said for frangible rounds, such as Glaser Saf-T-Slug or Magsafe, especially in urban areas where you need to worry about where your rounds will end up.

Personally, there are times when I would prefer lead, but may want to avoid ballistics:

remingtonduplex.jpg

Neal
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 970 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neal,

I just saw this and the multiball you show would be my response. I have a box I saved just for that purpose. The Remington has only 2 balls I believe but I sold some other a while pack that had more. Should have kept it.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    +1 with Laredo Lefty!
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +2 with Lefty for the old FBI load.

Several companies make a good 158 gr. lead SWCHP +P load.
  • Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    If they gave us 50 responses on this forum, you'd get 50 different opinions.

Even with a steel frame, less powerful loads give faster follow-up, plus they can still be quite effective. The first US Air Marshal's used .38 wadcutters, & I wouldn't feel handicapped with them.

There's also a lot to be said for frangible rounds, such as Glaser Saf-T-Slug or Magsafe, especially in urban areas where you need to worry about where your rounds will end up.
    +1
    I wish they still made the .357 Mag version.
    Dean

Personally, there are times when I would prefer lead, but may want to avoid ballistics:

remingtonduplex.jpg

Neal
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    The Speer "short barrel" 38 special +p rates good in most tests. It is a 135gn hollowpoint, and it sure does seem to be a powerful load. This ammunition was designed for 2 inch barrel revolvers.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Speer 135 grain is supposed to be good. I've always stuck with Remington 158 grain LSWCHP.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have used 158gr +P lead hollow pointsfor years in 2" revolvers. These will expand better than jacketed HP at the lower velocity of a 2".