In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

First O/U shotgun

northcnfnorthcnf Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking purchase my first O/U and can't decide between a Ruger Red Label and a Franchi Renaissance. Both fit me very well and are within my budget. I mostly grouse and pheasant hunt as well as target shoot. Any experienced advice on either shotgun would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• northcnfnorthcnf Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any one know who manufactured the first o/u shotgun?

Sage 1
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Handle both and see what fits you better and is more comfortable.

If you have a skeet/trap/clays range near you, you may be able to find someone that has one to let you shoot a few rounds through.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I vote for the Browning Citori. 2nd would be the red label.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was about ready to buy a Franchi Alcione when I came across the Browning Citori that I have now. I shot a 20 Ga. Ruger Red label and liked it a lot many years ago. Finding a shotgun that fits your style of shooting is critical. Try every one you can get your hands on.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I can't highly recommend either, however, since that's the choice you've given:
    1. Franchi has very poor wood. I have worked on them for many years and the wood is dry and cracks easily, does not refinish well. The action and steel is as good as any. Parts are "very" difficult to get.

2. Ruger is average at best in all areas. Not bad in any. One area of concern is that if you are going to compete in any "clay" games, the safety resets which is a no-no, but this can be easily modified. Parts are easy to get, gun is easy to work on.

While I like the looks of the Franchi, I would buy the Ruger given choice of only those two.

You may wish to consider some of the above advise as to a Browning (many basic models), SKB 505, and Beretta 686. All are basic good guns for about the same money as the Ruger.

Do make sure it fits you well, as this is the MOST important part. Best of luck.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Ruger Red label stainless sporting used for $750. It has 30in stainless barrels, came w/8 Briley choke tubes, stainless receiver, and real nice wood. I'm pretty sure that the sporting model comes from the factory without an automatic safety. At least mine doesn't have one. It's a great gun, and I would recommend trying one out. I use mine for sporting clays and skeet.
  • northcnfnorthcnf Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies! I'll definately look more into the Citori and see if I can find as good of a deal on one as I can on the Red Label and Franchi. Everyone's responses have been helpful.
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I've got a Ruger Red Label with an English stock...I love it. One of the few that will never leave the collection.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for a 12 gauge, don't rule out a Belgium Browning Superposed. For some strange reason they can still be bought at extremely reasonable prices. And, they are superior to the guns mentioned above. IMHO
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might also want to look at the CZ line of shotguns...they are pretty nice for the amount spent compared to the others.

Best