In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

pre 64 model 70 300 mag

hjoneshjones Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
got a pre 64 model 70 300 mag from my inlaws they have been shooting H&H cartridges in it what do i have a 300 mag or a H&H 300 mag

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,038 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need the serial # to know when it was made. The early model 70s, until about 1956 where marked 300 mag because the 300 Win Mag didn't come out until the late 50s, 58 if memory serves. So, if you have an older model 70 300 mag, it's probably an H&H. If that bothers you, I'll take it off your hands, and ease your mind.[;)][;)][:D]
    W.D.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reference says Winchester introduced the 300Win Mag in 63.

The vultures are circling.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    What year is the gun? It looks like the 300 h&h might fit in the 300 WM chamber, but it would expand the case??? surely someone here will be able to tell you.

cheechak30calx600.jpg
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 393
    edited November -1
    Unaltered .300 H&H Magnum cases will not fit a .300 Winchester Magnum chamber, so your rifle is either a .300 H&H, or has been rechambered to .300 Weatherby Magnum (been known to happen!).
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hjones
    got a pre 64 model 70 300 mag from my inlaws they have been shooting H&H cartridges in it what do i have a 300 mag or a H&H 300 mag

What you appear to have is a .300 H&H. The .300 Win Mag didn't come out until 1963. So there was only one year of them being "pre-'64". That leaves a lot of years for the .300 H&H which was only marked .300 Magnum on the barrel. The .300 Win Mag was marked .300 Winchester Magnum.

Some other tell tale signs are is there a little notch on top at the rear of the forward ring. Is the top of the front and rear rings flat {edit: smooth}, or do they have about a 3/8's groove with little grooves in that machined into them. Those were the days before Winchester standardized drilling and tapping of the model 70. Is the checkering cut or pressed and does it go all the way around the fore-end. (that may be a later year clue) Descriptions and pics would help a bunch. As well as a serial number...x out the last two if you don't feel comfortable giving that out.

Edit II: {to save posts for other folks}

hjones,

That's your serial number. Which sounds pretty low if you ask me. Hopefully there'll be some Winchester reference guys along shortly to give you a date of manufacture. If we use up the ten post limit, then just post again. It's okay to do that and plenty of helpful people here so sometimes limiting to ten cuts good answers off. But we just post again if there is good info to be added.

Now, the points I made in my post are valid as they show years of manufacture. If you could at least describe those it would help. The 'ring' I referred to is the heavy metal point where the barrel screws into the action. Obviously front and rear there. Do you understand what I mean by cut and pressed checkering? Or how to tell the difference. We can maybe post some pics for you if it would help.
  • hjoneshjones Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    quote:Originally posted by hjones

What you appear to have is a .300 H&H. The .300 Win Mag didn't come out until 1963. So there was only one year of them being "pre-'64". That leaves a lot of years for the .300 H&H which was only marked .300 Magnum on the barrel. The .300 Win Mag was marked .300 Winchester Magnum.

Some other tell tale signs are is there a little notch on top at the rear of the forward ring. Is the top of the front and rear rings flat {edit: smooth}, or do they have about a 3/8's groove with little grooves in that machined into them. Those were the days before Winchester standardized drilling and tapping of the model 70. Is the checkering cut or pressed and does it go all the way around the fore-end. (that may be a later year clue) Descriptions and pics would help a bunch. As well as a serial number...x out the last two if you don't feel comfortable giving that out.

The only numbers that are on the gun is 84420
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Its a late 40's gun Which means its a 300 H&H but stamped 300 magnum.
  • hjoneshjones Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Its a late 40's gun Which means its a 300 H&H stamped 300 magnum.

thanks for the help on this
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,038 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate it when I get dates wrong, 1958 was the year Winchester introduced the 264 Win Mag, the 300 Win Mag came out in 63, as has been stated. Thats twice this year I've been wrong.[:(!][B)]
    W.D.
  • lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a pre 64 70 in 300 H&H. When I went to test fire it the brass came out as 300Wtby.[:(]
    Took it in the shorts on that one.