In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bluing

kytraderkytrader Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Alot of my rifles are 30 plus years old. They have been well taken care of but the ends of the barrels at the muzzles have bluing loss I am guessing either from lots of shooting or resting on the floor board of vehicles.

Is there anything I can use to touch up the bluing just at the end of the barrels? I want somthing that looks nice not fake and I want it to blend in with the rest of the rifle.

Comments

• kytraderkytrader Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone familiar with the bluing the factory does? What all is involved in getting set up to do that?

Thanks.

BTW: I wanted to post in the .44 Mag vs .45 Long Colt thread but it's locked. My advice: Get one of each. I use the same load in both-- 20.0 gr 2400 under a 250 gr cast SWC. Produces ~1250fps in the .44; ~1125fps in the .45LC.
    edited November -1
    I have a Astra Cub that needs rebluing. What would be the best kit to purchase? Thanks in advance
  • max2005max2005 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've tried most of the home kits; no doubt about it, the Blue Wonder kit is the best by far. Just follow the instructions to the letter (check out the instructional videos on their website and YouTube) and you won't go wrong!

Good luck!
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NONE of the "home rebluing kits" will do a good job. It will be apparent that the gun has an amateur cold blue job. Cold blue doesn't hold up well, either.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Bills correct--- send it to someone that will do it up right, or it will look like bubba did it....
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    Bills correct--- send it to someone that will do it up right, or it will look like bubba did it....

How much can I expect to pay for a professional job?
  • huffmanitehuffmanite Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with max2005 about the Blue Wonder kit being the best. Other two posters do have a point though about the wear factor, but you should find the Blue Wonder to be wear resistant. I've used it for several years now on various rifles and have not noticed any wear problems like I have with other brands of cold blue. I've no experience with Blue Wonder on a pistol. Just my 2 cents worth. Only problem I'd be concerned with is the metallurgy of your pistol. On rifle barrels, I've always had very good results with Blue Wonder. Recently I had an action rebarreled by a guy who has done gunsmithing for over 40 years. I used Blue Wonder on the barrel after he had installed it and would later show him the finished rifle after making a stock for it. His first words to me when seeing the rifle, "was this barrel already blued when I installed it?" I smiled and told him I had used Blue Wonder on it. His reply was the barrel looked very good and that even he had used the product with good success. However, on rifle receivers, my results have been mixed. I assume it is because the metallurgy and heat treatment of rifle receivers makes it more difficult for cold blue to work successfully. This may be a problem with your pistol.