In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Norinco trench gun opinions....

82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Anyone familiar with the Norinco "trench gun" shotguns? Are they junk or would one make a servicible shooter? They seem to be available for @ $400 all day long, versus an original, which seem to be between $1100 and $4,000.00. And I am not sure I would want to shoot up a "collectible" piece.I think they look cool, and would be fun to play with. Any opinions? especially if you actually have a Norinco, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Mike

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Mike,

Norinco = Chinese JUNK

Even though an original Winchester Model 1897 Trench Gun is on the spendy side, I personally would have no qualms about shooting one (with the proper loads of course). Most Trench Guns were used and carried alot, and as such, they are not in "pristine" condition. Shooting them is not going to change the overall condition as long as you take care of the gun like you would with any other gun. The original WINCHESTER Model 1897 is a robustly designed shotgun[^].
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Unless anyone here has actually handled a Norinco trench gun, I'd suggest keeping political and/or cultural commentary to yourself.

82trooper,

I've heard Norinco trench guns are hit and miss. Some seem to function without a problem while others need more repairs than downtown Stalingrad in 1943.

I'd look up these two guys and ask them their opinion on Norinco trench guns:

http://www.cowboygunworks.com/index.html

www.coyotecap.com

Since they work on Winchester 1897's (and their clones), they would likely be able to give youmore advice on this matter than folks who have never even fired one (and that includes myself).

But just so you know, don't believe the hype - I owned a Norinco SKS for years, fired thousands of rounds out of it, and never had a hiccup out of it.[8D]
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    Unless anyone here has actually handled a Norinco trench gun, I'd suggest keeping political and/or cultural commentary to yourself.

82trooper,

I've heard Norinco trench guns are hit and miss. Some seem to function without a problem while others need more repairs than downtown Stalingrad in 1943.

I'd look up these two guys and ask them their opinion on Norinco trench guns:

http://www.cowboygunworks.com/index.html

www.coyotecap.com

Since they work on Winchester 1897's (and their clones), they would likely be able to give youmore advice on this matter than folks who have never even fired one (and that includes myself).

But just so you know, don't believe the hype - I owned a Norinco SKS for years, fired thousands of rounds out of it, and never had a hiccup out of it.[8D]

The Norinco made 1887's are junk. I have handled and shot them, and own an original 1887 to compare it to. From what I understand, there are people out there that can smoothe the wrinkles out of the Norinco.

EMM,

I do believe that you are balancing on the fine line of our first ammendment, in your opening statement. That is the one the second ammendment was created to protect.FWIW

Best
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine is one of the top ranked Cowboy Action shooters, and he uses a Norinco pump shotgun. So, they are not all junk.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

You are cordially invited to leave your condescending attitude and prose off of this forum.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't own one but I have worked on several, buy a true 1897 and save yourself a lot of swear words.
    "Norinco = Chinese JUNK"
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.

You are cordially invited to leave your condescending attitude and prose off of this forum.
    Sorry, but I must decline your wonderful invitation. Perhaps next time.[:D]
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    82Trooper: Go over to the BP/SASS forum, and re-submit the question. Model '97 'fakes' have been used in their competitions. See just what kind of tuning if any needs to be done to get them up to speed. Best, Joe