In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

DPMS AR-10 Upper 308

fishcofishco Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I just bought an DPMS upper for my AR-10, the barrel is stamped 308, will it safely shoot 7.62 X 51 ammo?

Comments

• WarGamesWarGames Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WarGames
    Yes

yes
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Maybe... some have a tight throated match chamber and will show pressure signs, pierce primers, and have function issues.
  • fishcofishco Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had always heard you could go one way, but not the other. Meaning a 7.62 X 51 would shott both, but if it was a .308 then problems would occur when 7.62 ammo was used.

Does the same rule apply to 5.56 and .223?
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,488 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There seems to be a problem potentially more so with the M1A and 308 Winchester ammo vs the 7.62. It happened in some M1A's that a constant diet of .308 Winchester ammo in this gun could cause the operating rod to bend because of the slightly higher pressure in the 308 Winchester.
    I don't think that would affect the AR 308's the same as they do not have an operating rod. I wouldn't use a steady diet of 308 Winchester in the 7.62 rifles but a few boxes every now and then certainly would not hurt it. If I use my Armalite AR10 to hunt this year I will have no problem using the 308 Winchester ammo in it what so ever. And yes there is also a similar difference between the .223 vs 5.56 as well.