In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ar 15

spider65spider65 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
what is the difference from a a1 a2 a3 ar-15s

Comments

• spider65spider65 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to know the differences if any, between a match olympic arms lower and a rock river lower. Which is a better piece of work.
    Thanks
    Eric
    edited November -1
    I am looking to buy a colt ar 15 m4 law enforcemnt carbine with a 16.1 barrel. It is priced at 2500 new in box. Was wondering if that is overpriced or not. Also what is a good colt for the money.
    edited November -1
    Nephew has a preban Colt A2 target match grade, Whats it worth? hes trying to sell it now
    edited November -1
    I have a colt Ar15 Hbar sporter serial number sp 2440xx. I called Colt and asked what info they could tell me about it. The only thing they could say was it was manufactured in 1984. It was originally purchased by my brother new. He's now passed, but he had told me that when he originally purchased it could have been converted, legally with the right paper work, to a select or burst fire, Drop in sear. Any validity or now just family lore? Would a class III dealer be interested? If not B/S, any ideas on cost per year for the average guy to have a full or burst fire?
    edited November -1
    Any one know anything about "MGI Miiltary" AR 15 Systems?
    mgimilitary.com
    edited November -1
    I want to build my own AR 15 type rifle I just puchased a charles daly strpped lower what would be a good upper for it Im going with a 20 inch heavy barrel free float hand gaurds any tipps would be greatly appretiated. my first so dont scare me
    edited November -1
    I'm looking for one with no sear block. To be honest, I've only ever picked up a couple so wouldn't know where to even look for a sear block without one of each at hand.

Can the sear block be removed legally with the ban dead?

What serial number range would insure that I was getting what I'm looking for?

TIA

"You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a couple hours or douse him with fuel oil and keep him warm the rest of his life"
    edited November -1
    How can I tell if an AR 15 is indeed a PRE-BAN AR???
    edited November -1
    What is used to clean the gas tube an the AR 15s? Where can I get this tool, brush, pipe cleaner etc? Thanks
    edited November -1
    My brother wants to get an AR 15 and I would like for him to get the best deal for the money (around 700). He want a 20" barrel. Can anyone assist me in the right direction? Thanks Mike
    edited November -1
    Looking for opinions on an AR. What I would like is a 16" barrel,223/5.56 with removable carry handle and ability to mount a scope or red dot sight. I really do not like the adjustable stocks so it should have the plain fixed type.Also,want recommendations for the action-- piston type or? This rifle would be fired sparingly. Probably 200 or 300 rounds per year. Reliability and economy are important to me.I do not want to build my own. Thanks for any and all ideas.
    edited November -1
    Ive been listening to people that own the ar15"s and how you can switch and swap parts is it possible to switch a ar15 rifle to a pistol by changing the upper receiver?
    edited November -1
    who makes the best ar 15 for the money ?
    edited November -1
    ROCKRIVER OR BUSHMASTER WHO MAKES THE BEST AR FOR THE MONEY[?]
    edited November -1
    Which is the best AR15 to buy? Colt, Olympic Arms, Armalite, etc. Thanks, Ron
    edited November -1
    what is the difference between an m4 and an a4? thanks
    edited November -1
    Can any one tell me about Pac West Arms Ar-15. All it says
    is PWA Milan ,IL Cal. 5.56 Commando Ser. 004236
    It is in mint shape any values would be apreciated
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is nothing wrong with the upper you describe, but to answer the question RIGHT, you'll have to know what you want to do with this thing?

Hunting?
    Target shooting?
    SERIOUS (ie competitive) target shooting?
    Use it for duty purposes as a SWAT officer?
    Plinking/fun?
    Defense of your farm?
    All of the above?
    Don't really know?

Also, are you going to be carrying it around with you for extended periods of time, or is it pretty much only going to the range and back while cased? Are you going to be handling it inside a vehicle or other closed space?

Answer THESE things, and then what kind of upper you'll need will become more obvious.
    edited November -1
    all the above all purpose rifle on the farm/home defense and target
    edited November -1
    yes I well carry it around walking thru the wood I live in northern Minnesota
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,488 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you are not using this as a match or competition rifle any of the more popular uppers will work fine. Armalite, DPMS, CMMG, Rock River, plus a host of others will be fine. But to save your self some headaches, you might be better off just to buy a completed upper maybe minus the hand guards or a kit type upper that you can assemble your self. If you assemble every thing your self you will have the added expense of buying some specialized tools (upper receiver fixture, barrel vise jaws, barrel wrench and probably a couple of punches at least. If you build it yourself you also would need a barrel and the free float hand guards. Again this is a personal thing. There are many good barrel makers but you have to consider the cost. A good barrel alone may cost you at least $180.00 and the hand guard configurations are endless. Then you have to decide if you are putting a scope on here and if you intend to put BUIS's on also. The best thing for you to do would be to go on the internet at the above companies web sites and look up what they have and decide for your self what you want to do. I'm partial to the Armalite and CMMG people but I also have had good experiences with Model One Sales. When dealing with AR's especially on this site you will get 20 different opinions as to what is best. Just stick with quality companies and parts that you can afford but don't skimp as you get what you pay for.
    Just stay away from Blackthorne, Vulcan or Hesse and you should be okay. One last company I forgot to mention was Stag Arms ther stuff is pretty good. I'm sure I missed a few others but some one will come along and fill in the holes that I have omitted. Good luck inyour quest.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good compromise of features would be a dissipator or SPR type upper..

Basically A DISSIPATOR is a 16" barrel with a car length gas system and low profile gas block set up to take 12" rifle length handguards and a sight tower.

A SPR type upper can be any of several barrel contours with a mid length(9") or rifle length(12") gas system. What they all have in common is the barrel is generally 18" long and it is set up with rifle length hand guard for maximum barrel protection, 12oclock rail space, and sight radious.

EDIT:
    Armilites rifle below is a perfect example of the dissipator carbine. the stock and optic are examples of the best quality available. Magpul CTR friction lock stock and Trijicon ACOG.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,488 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like This

[img][/img]MVC-NEW6_8SPCF.jpg