In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

feeding problem-bolt action

discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
while antelope hunting sunday my winchester model 70 243 WSSM would not pick up the next round in the mag without manually sliding it[new round] forward a tad. luckily the 1st shot seriously wounded the doe and i had time to "help" the 2nd round load for the kill shot. any thoughts on why the problem?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like there should be a spacer at the back of the box magazine to keep the shell from going to the rear or that the bolt is being stopped from going fully to the rear BOLT STOP[?]
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    sounds like there should be a spacer at the back of the box magazine to keep the shell from going to the rear or that the bolt is being stopped from going fully to the rear BOLT STOP[?]

Would be my first guesses as well. With the super short mag cartridges, the bolt throw is so short anyways, that anything minor would cause problems.

Jon
  • blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If everything is in original condition and this is the first time you have had problems - the magazine spring might be getting weak. I had a rifle that wouldnt feed consistantly and even though visually i couldn't see anything wrong I replace the spring and it fed great.
  • discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'll check the mag spring. i bought the gun here on GB late summer/ the bolt goes plenty far back, past the shell at least. a spacer in the box maybe is needed also, as moving the shell forward 1/4 inch worked like it is supposed to. thanks..