In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HEADSPACE

kosmo113kosmo113 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Please explain headspace. Safety concerns. There are so many reasonably priced 8mm Mausers on the market right now I would like to buy one or more. The problem is the one's I've looked at bolts and recievers numbers don't match. I know one should have rifle checked by a gunsmith before purchasing but this is not possible. Is this something I could check with a gauge. Also are the gauges for one caliber or adjustible for more than one caliber. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• kosmo113kosmo113 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Ar-15 that i would like to switch the barrel on. When i remove the other barrel and put the other on will i have to have any headspace gauges seeing how they are the same brand barrels. Thanks
    edited November -1
    In a different topic, I was told to get headspace checked. What is headspace and timing? Thanks, Bill
    edited November -1
    I HAVE AN ALL METAL DUMMY ROUND THAT APPEARS TO BE 30-06 CAL. THE HEADSTAMP READS IN PART "SHAKESPEARE" AND USA IN THE CENTER. CANT READ THE REST. ITS HARD SO DOES NOT SEEM SUITABLE AS A SNAP CAP. COULD IT BE A "GO" "NO GO" HEADSPACE GAGE? ANY INFO APPRECIATED.
    edited November -1
    Can someone explain the simple definition of headspace and how it is measured? Are there different measurement points taken for different types of guns? My wife says it is the empty space between my ears.[:D] I understand the concept, but I would like to have it explained so I will have a better understanding. Thanks!
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it stop at the top of the shoulder, or does it have a neck and bullet portion?
    Headspace guges will NOT have a neck / bullet section, the area where the primer would be is drilled out, and they will have a designation "GO", NO-GO, or "FIELD" on them.

My guess at this time is that you have a display / promotinal dummy
    edited November -1
    IT DOES HAVE A BULLET PORTON AND NO PRIMER HOLE!
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never seen a headspace gauge that includes a dummy bullet portion. All sets I have, including even .30 Carbine gauges do not simulate the bullet itself.

Can you post a photo? It sounds interesting.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like its a functioning dummy. They run these thru the guns to check for feeding, chambering, extraction & ejection.