In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Model 10 barrel interchange?

OLDCOPOLDCOP Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
If I buy one of the lower end Model 10's for a "shooter" and it has a bull barrel...and I buy a pencil barrel...will it fit? How big a deal is this to do? Thank you!

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old ones made before 81 had a pin through the frame that secured the barrel in place. Once the pin was drifted out it was easy to unscrew the barrel.

New barrels after 81 are a interference fit in frame. To remove them correctly without springing frame you have to have the correct barrel vise inserts and know what you are doing.

You might have problems with a pre 81 barrel in a newer post 81 frame because of loose fit of threads might cause misalignment of sights?
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by OLDCOP
    If I buy one of the lower end Model 10's for a "shooter" and it has a bull barrel...and I buy a pencil barrel...will it fit? How big a deal is this to do? Thank you!

I think Rufe is right on this.

As an aside, while you *might* be able to recover the cost of the pencil barrel by selling the bull barrel, why go through the hassle of buying a gun, finding a new barrel, removing the old barrel, installing the new barrel (which isn't entirely trivial; you still may have to set the cylinder gap and do some fitting there), then selling the old barrel?

As a matter of practice, I think Smith 10s are common and inexpensive enough that you're probably just better off buying one with the barrel you like to start with.

Heck its probably easier and cheaper to swap the ENTIRE GUN for one with a pencil barrel, rather than try to swap barrels!

Also, what's wrong with a bull barrel? If you want a "shooter", I think those are better than the pencil barrels (which mostly only offer a weight advantage in carry).

Bull barrel
    Smith%20and%20Wesson%20pistols%20pistol%20%20revolver%20revolvers%204%2038%20special%20Model%2010%20-%205.jpg

Pencil barrel
    Model64Large.jpg
  • OLDCOPOLDCOP Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good points from both of you. I think my lust for the pencil barrel comes from the fact that it was my first issued sidearm on the police dept. I never liked the looks of the HB but do agree that it is probably the better shooter. I'll cogitate a bit more and decide what to do. It'll probably depend on what, when, where and the number of dollars in my grubby hands. I think this site is the best on the web! Thanks!
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I believe the top of the frame at the very front of 4-inch HB guns is left square to mate with the rib, which is wide. It is dressed off appropriately for barrels with narrower ribs, and more for the ribless thin barrels. In Beantown's photos, take a look at the barrel pin location relative to the cut-down portion of the frame just ahead of it on each gun. Not that this would matter too much, but it may look a little awkward.

But I think Beantown is right, if you just put yourself into a classic with a factory origin, you will save yourself a hassle.