In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt revolvers

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
What is the difference between a Colt Trooper Mark III and the Lawman? Which one is the most valuable?

Comments

• shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short course requested on the differences between the Anaconda, Python and King Cobra...is it styling? frame size? production years? Thanks
    edited November -1
    i am getting an itch to get a "snubby" colt

is there a snubby that shoots 357? i thought the cobra did but all i can find is 38's

what other colt revolvers are snubbys? cobra, dect.spl., .....?

i would want one with the "strap" under the barrel like this one

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=50838099

thanks
    tater
    edited November -1
    Encountered two Colt revolvers that I could not get the cylinders to open. One Cobra and one Trooper. Is this common for Colts? Any suggestions on a solution? Thank you!
    edited November -1
    did colt make a stainless trooper
    edited November -1
    Can someone shed some light on what it means when Colt revolvers are
    mentioned as First, second and third generation guns? I am a novice and am perticularly interested in the SAA revolvers. Any good sources recommended for research?
    Thanks
    Terry[?]
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Anaconda is the largest frame size double action Colt ever made. It was available in 45LC, and 44 Remington Magnum. It is one of the stronger 44 Magnums on a double action platform built. It is a bit stronger than the S&W 29/629 family, and about the same as the Ruger Redhawk. The Anaconda is probably one of the nicest double action, and most likely the smoothist built. I wish they would bring it back.

The Python is the medium frame flagship of the Colt doubleaction line up. S&W had the K-framed Model 19 which was a little smaller, and needed some attention after several hot rounds. Then they mimmicked the Python with the invention of the L-fram. The Pythons are mostly all hand fitted, and bar none, not even the $4k Korth, are most likely the smoothist double action revolver to leave the factory ...EVER. Only the Diamondback(also made by Colt), can match it.

The King Cobra, was Colt's attempt at a less expensive revolver that was Python based(size, feel and looks), to compete with the S&W L-framed 686/586 series revolvers. The main difference between it and the Python were it was an assembly gun, and not hand fitted in the Custom Shop.

In all...it's a shame that Colt does not return to the business of making fine guns that turn a cylinder.

Best
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tsr1965, you are way off on the differences in regard to the Python and King Cobra. The Python uses the old mechanism introduced in the 41 caliber frame size in 1908 in the Army Special. It uses a "double hand" design that locks the cylinder absolutely tight when the trigger is pulled, which contributes to the superior accuracy of Pythons. Hand-fitting was required because of the way the parts were designed.

The King Cobra is NOT Python-based. The King Cobra uses a transfer bar mechanism similar to a Ruger double action. It is FAR different than the Python mechanism. The Mark III/Mark V/King Cobra cylinder "floats" like a Smith & Wesson and Ruger when the trigger is pulled. It is not locked tight. NO hand-fitting is required and the parts are either cast or sintered metal. The Anaconda mechanism is the same basic design.
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Judge is correct on the descriptions. I have all three and can testify to that. The three described are all in my opinion better than their Ruger and Smith counterparts. The Anaconda was smoother than my 629 so I sold the Smith ( 629s are fine guns) The Python is a high quality pistol that you really can not compare to any Smith. They are in a class by themselves. Back in the day they tested the Smith 686 against the Ruger GP100 and the Colt King Cobra and the only thing the King Cobra lost was on price. For a work gun the King Cobra is heavier and stronger than the Smith or the Ruger. All guns mentioned above are fine weapons and I am not here to brag them up but from personal experience and the fact that I have owned or shot all of the above allows me to voice this info to you. Ruger and Smith make fine weapons and I own enough to attest to their quality and accuracy. But having said that the Colts are a little notch above them in their particular genres. Hope this helps.
    edited November -1
    I would really like to thank you for taking the time to enlighten me on Colt revolvers, those are the kinds of answers and details I was curious about....anyone can cut and paste a bunch of links to wikipedia-that does not make one an expert..that really is not much help, but when seasoned owners and experts contribute that is what makes this site so enjoyable and encouraging to people that want to learn, not just read....thank you again

So as a budding collector it would be worth spending $12-1600 on an in box high quality condition python to put away, as apposed to buying two in good shape Smiths...I mean for that price I could get an in box model 66 and 629...I like Smiths, I own a Model 25-3 and a Lew Horton Model 29.....but boy I'd I'd like a DA Colt Revolver[:D]
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:So as a budding collector it would be worth spending $12-1600 on an in box high quality condition python to put away

well, the price range is about right. one just sold on GB that was LNIB for $1100, the "Buy now" price. i think it was listed for a couple hours. most in that condition go for more. about putting it away, If it's already been fired it would be a shame if you didn't put a few rounds downrange. nothing like a python![:)]
    I have a 6" python and an 8" ported anaconda. the anaconda is a great gun, but it's not in the same class as the python.
    jmho
    tom
  • woodguruwoodguru Member Posts: 2,850
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    The Anaconda is the largest frame size double action Colt ever made. It was available in 45LC, and 44 Remington Magnum. It is one of the stronger 44 Magnums on a double action platform built. It is a bit stronger than the S&W 29/629 family, and about the same as the Ruger Redhawk. The Anaconda is probably one of the nicest double action, and most likely the smoothist built. I wish they would bring it back.

The Python is the medium frame flagship of the Colt doubleaction line up. S&W had the K-framed Model 19 which was a little smaller, and needed some attention after several hot rounds. Then they mimmicked the Python with the invention of the L-fram. The Pythons are mostly all hand fitted, and bar none, not even the $4k Korth, are most likely the smoothist double action revolver to leave the factory ...EVER. Only the Diamondback(also made by Colt), can match it.

The King Cobra, was Colt's attempt at a less expensive revolver that was Python based(size, feel and looks), to compete with the S&W L-framed 686/586 series revolvers. The main difference between it and the Python were it was an assembly gun, and not hand fitted in the Custom Shop.

In all...it's a shame that Colt does not return to the business of making fine guns that turn a cylinder.

Best

You sound like you know and appreciate. I have a 6" Diamondback .22 that looks and feels just like a 76 era Python. I put a set of the contoured Walnut Hogue grips on it, they were a bear to find and not cheap but do they ever make this pistol sweet. The factory wood Python style grips let the gun slip out of aimed position and are uncomfortable, the Pachmayer rubber came on mine when I got it and they are alright, they had the gold medallions on them so I don't know if the diamondback came like that or not. These pistols are like a velvet smooth swiss watch. I shoot metal silhouette chickens with it and can pretty readily hit 8 to 9 out of ten consistantly. It's very very accurate and I used it for years for gray squirrels in the swamps in Louisiana.