In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

stolen guns

pitjeeppitjeep Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
what would be the best way to post a list of stolen guns?

Comments

• pitjeeppitjeep Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am the fiduciary of an estate. Quite a few guns were missing and I felt that they had been stolen. I reported this to the local police and they said they could not take a stolen gun report, only a missing gun report until the estate was concluded. They never pushed the information up to the ATF or... whoever. Now I see one of these guns listed on gunbroker. What do I do and how do I proceed?
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen: We were the unfortunate Gunshop that was burglarized on 10-30-06. The thieves broke in and took 79 guns in 2 minutes. Is there a way to post these weapons on this web site for people to see. Thanks Babybounce aka Vic Mohon at Trader Vics gun shop.
    edited November -1
    You dealers out there who buy or trade for firearms for resale can give me the answer to this question I have wondered about. A lot of used firearms, if you checked their history, would turn up as stolen. A buyer, in perfectly good faith, may buy, legally, a stolen firearm, not knowing it is stolen.

Is there a process you go thru? Do you contact the NCIC (sp?) on each firearm you buy or trade for? And what would be the repercussions on the seller if the gun turned out to be stolen?
    edited November -1
    had a couple long guns stolen from my home . where are good places to list the ser # for people to be on the lookout? state police have the # for anyone trying to sell to pawn or dealers.
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the police are anywhere near competent they will have the guns listed on NCIC. When listed with NCIC a check by law enforcement anywhere in the country will give an instant response showing the gun is stolen. That is your best bet for recovering them.
  • grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8] I was told that alot of guns stolden from the US go to South America to be sold to drug dealers and terrorist.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do you get guns to South America???
  • BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns to South America??? Why, on the return flight bringing in Cocaine, of course ! Why waste aviation fuel? BT
  • dandak1dandak1 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In answer to your question, http://www.stolenweapon.com
    I also heard once guns are stolen, even if you they are found, police destroy them (ie: the insurance company pays out, the cops destroy). Dont know if this is true.
  • dogtown tomdogtown tom Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dandak1
    In answer to your question, http://www.stolenweapon.com
    I also heard once guns are stolen, even if you they are found, police destroy them (ie: the insurance company pays out, the cops destroy). Dont know if this is true.

Not true.

PD's have been known to destroy confiscated firearms, but do so only after adjudication.
  • extremedealerzextremedealerz Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im a Deputy the best thing to do is to keep in touch with the agency that filed the report for you.People change numbers and addresses so often these days its hard to keep up with theme. Im sure that many guns are at your local agency waiting to be picked up. I located a stolen firearm and called the guy he picked it up one year later.