In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Light Rifle ???

jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone had any problems with these rifles? I am trying to put a 3x9x40 scope on one and the bolt hits the eyepiece when you try to jack the bolt open. HELP! THANKS to all who respond.

Comments

• bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    I have the same problem with mine. I went with a 3x9-32 and it works good. I am thinking of having a set of bases made for it. Someone told me to try the Remington 700 bases but they don't work. Either the front or back base works (can't remember offhand)but the other doesn't. Good luck...Bull
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scope "Rings", are made in different heights. Measure yours then call up one of the customer service folks at Brownells to get a higher set for your rifle.
  • jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand that rings come in different configurations but I guess my question is who makes rings for this gun and where can I find them? thanks to all.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please post a picture of your rifle, specifically of the scope and mounts so we may see what you do have for bases on it. What caliber is your rifle chambered in?

There is a sticky describing how to post pictures in the experts forum near the top of the board. You will need a photo-hosting website such as photobucket too.

Best
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a picture to share so we can provide better advise? Below is my son's old Remington 1903 in .30-06 ... ended up having my smith change the angle of the old bolt and grinding some off the handle.

We could have opted for a taller base/ring combo, different scope (i.e. long relief carbine type), but my son opted to go this route.

P8170185-1.jpg
  • jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks to all that replied to this post. I have decided to move this rifle. After talking to midway, brownells cabelas and two local shops, nobody has a base for this *^#@^* thing. I have the factory came in the box with this gun mounts and rings (all one piece) and have tried a bushnell sports view, nikon buckmaster, nicon prostaff, bushnell legend scope in 3x9x40 on this gun and the bolt hits the variable dial or the rear eyepiece on each one! what a piece of crap setup this is!!!! this is a nib rifle and the rings have never been installed until now, how cheap can we go! anyway thanks agian , Im headed to the gunshow with this one.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jar
    thanks to all that replied to this post. I have decided to move this rifle. After talking to midway, brownells cabelas and two local shops, nobody has a base for this *^#@^* thing. I have the factory came in the box with this gun mounts and rings (all one piece) and have tried a bushnell sports view, nikon buckmaster, nicon prostaff, bushnell legend scope in 3x9x40 on this gun and the bolt hits the variable dial or the rear eyepiece on each one! what a piece of crap setup this is!!!! this is a nib rifle and the rings have never been installed until now, how cheap can we go! anyway thanks agian , Im headed to the gunshow with this one.

The factory rings were meant for something! Contact the rifle company and see just what scope they had in mind when the company fabricated them. All is not lost, yet. Best, Joe
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got this off the net, GOOGLE, Melvin Forbes and Ultralight Arms, he might be able to help you?

Colt light rifle was spin off of the ultralight
    : arms rifles by melvin forbes in wva. He sold
    : rights to colt, they botched manufacturing
    : up and never could get them right,
    : particularily the stocks. His rifles sell
    : for about $2600. Everyone is calling him now
    : to find parts for the colts. Colt never
    : bought the spare parts from the party that
    : made them. no parts and only two minor parts
    : interchange with the UL rifles. He is trying
    : to buy all the spare parts if colt or their
    : manufacturer can find them. seems they lost
    : them. If you can keep it ticking should be
    : ok, if not contact Melvin Forbes at
    : Ultralight arms and pray he was able to buy
    : the parts if they found them, if not the
    : part will have to be handmade. Had two of
    : his UL20s in 7mm/08 and they were greatest,
    : someone else wanted them more than me and
    : made obscene offers so they have them.
    : Looking for another. Do web search for Ultra
    : light arms, not same but similar. His rifles
    : premium barrels and much more precision in
    : mftr. good luck!