In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1917 Remington 30-06

tking5150tking5150 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a nice rifle that I want to restore, but I need to replace the barrel due to small pitting inside. Does anyone know where I can get a new or good condition barrel for my rifle?? (M1917 Remington 30-06) Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might want to try Sarco or Gunparts(numrich)
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    these are sacrce as hens teeth, gunparts corp has reproductions.
  • tking5150tking5150 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks alot guys, I appreciate the info.
  • huffmanitehuffmanite Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunparts/numrich does have a replacement M1917 barrel. Bought one about a year ago. However, some additional work will need to be done. You will need to cut the slot in the barrel for the front sight. It is short chambered and seems I remember some other work was needed at chamber end by gunsmith who installed barrel. Exterior of barrel was kinda rough too and it will be in the white.
  • I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    I suggest you keep the small-pitted barrel on it and don't tell anyone it's pitted. It may shoot 5000 shots with better accuracy than one that's not pitted.

A couple non-military M-1917's that I wasn't really excited about I chambered to .300 Win Mag. Cleaned them up a little and got turned on shooting them. Other friends and shooters smile when they shoot them also, an up-grade from the 30-06.

If you're keeping your M-1917 as original I would keep it as-is and be happy.