In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1863 Springfield value

Dave45-70Dave45-70 Member Posts: 637 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I recently looked at an 1863 Springfield musket and without a picture it's just my description to go on. It has been rebarreled(no markings)and is now 45 cal. The stock is good with one small repair, the lock and the rest of hardware on the rifle appears original.There is no rust and the stamps on the lock are crisp.Was 45 the original caliber or was it 58 cal.? I was asked to make an offer but I don't have a clue, any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBuesching
    I recently looked at an 1863 Springfield musket and without a picture it's just my description to go on. It has been rebarreled(no markings)and is now 45 cal. The stock is good with one small repair, the lock and the rest of hardware on the rifle appears original.There is no rust and the stamps on the lock are crisp.Was 45 the original caliber or was it 58 cal.? I was asked to make an offer but I don't have a clue, any advice will be appreciated.

Is it a muzzleloader or breechloader? The 1863 Springfield was orignally a .58 caliber muzzleloader. However, many were converted to the "Trapdoor" breechloading system by Springfield Armory in calibers .58 Rimfire and 50-70 centerfire prior to the Model 1873 being introduced and made in 45-70 caliber.

There are some Bubba jobs out there where people have mixed 45-70 barreled actions with 50-70 stocks and hardware. For this rifle to be orignal it should not have an 1863 dated lock with a 45 caliber barrel. So, off the top of my head and without additional information or photos, I would venture that it is a parts gun and the value would be the sum of its parts.

EDIT: You will note that I refrained from giving a value, simply because we do not have enough information nor photos to arrive at a fair estimate. However, since two members have given you a value of $150 I will offer the following. If the lock assembly is crisp and functional, that alone could be worth $150-200. A full length stock, even with some repairs (if well done) $200+. An original rear sight, $75. A full length ramrod, $100+. A set of three barrel bands, $75.

So, while you may have a composition piece made up of mostly reproduction parts that is worth $150, you could also have something valued at $500+.

More information/photos are necessary to determine which it is you have.

John
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,702 ******
    edited November -1
    To a collector, it's no more than a parts gun. $150 tops.